Re: Shaw Open - Limited Speed

arjay
Grasshopper

100 feet is an extreme distance from that access point? You either misunderstood me or have no clue....

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

I've received an update from our WiFi engineering team and they have advised the AP is working as expected. 

0 Kudos

arjay
Grasshopper

Just an update, that Shaw Open Access Point is now dead. Can you please send a repair crew out to replace it? It no longer broadcasts an SSID. It's the one located on the corner of Rathtrevor Road and Resort Drive in Parksville.

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

Hi arjay 

Thanks for letting us know about this! We've checked in with the Shaw Go WiFi team and they confirmed that there is an access point at 1000 Resort Dr that is currently online. However, the access point recently changed and the range may be smaller than it was previously due to some equipment changes. Because of that, you may experience issues if you are attempting to connect to it from too far away. 

There's also an access point at 961 Island Hwy E which we have confirmed is online at the moment. Looking at the history we do see that the connection was either reset or down a few days ago, so that might explain why you were having issues if you were attempting to connect there.  

With that said, I do also see that there is an issue with internet connectivity in general in that area of Parksville, so that might also be a factor. Service may be intermittent until the repairs are completed. We have technicians working to get it fixed ASAP and we hope it will be resolved soon. 

0 Kudos

arjay
Grasshopper

Hi Tamara;

Thank you for looking into it. I saw this morning two Shaw trucks parked underneath it and then they drove off. So, I'm guessing they did something. But here's the thing, you mentioned that it is on-line, however, I stood directly underneath it, with my cell phone, at a distance of about 15 feet from the access point, and it is still not broadcasting it's SSID and cannot be seen no matter what.

This makes me wonder if the techs actually checked the radio portion of the access point because it is not working at all. I originally thought that perhaps they had installed a replacement unit and that it would take time to be provisioned. However, because it has been at least 12 hours, and it still does not work, I am now wondering if they may have missed something.

If you would like to independently test my assertions, perhaps the best way may be to check and see if there is data being transmitted to and from the access point in such a volume that would indicate that it is actually working. 

For myself, all I can say is, I stood directly under it, and it's not on !

Best & Thanks!

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

arjay it is possibly related to some work being done in the area. I will recommend reporting this directly to the Shaw Go WiFi team at WiFiFinderFeedback@sjrb.ca or through your Shaw Go WiFi Finder App (under about -> send us feedback) so they can work with you directly in resolving this.

0 Kudos

arjay
Grasshopper

Thanks - done. Although I would have thought that you would have a much more direct contact and could escalate this to the proper department yourselves. 

Odd that two trucks were out there Monday morning and that the AP is still dead. It appears the radio side is dead, standing directly underneath it (15 feet?) and it is not broadcasting an SSID. My guess is that a quick look with monitoring tools would show effectively zero traffic.

0 Kudos

arjay
Grasshopper

Fixed. I emailed them directly with the address you provided and they forwarded that to the Go Wifi team and it was then up and running again within minutes. So that worked - thanks everyone for helping me get to the right place!

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

Awesome! Glad to hear it's working for you again  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help