Shaw's Technicolor modem: avoid if at all possible

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

There really needs to be a recall and mass replacement of this modem. This is the second replacement Technicolor modem and the issue remains where it randomly disconnects from the internet but remains available thru 10.0.0.1.The disconnect remains for several minutes. 

This issue occurs whether you're using 2.4G or 5G SSIDs. I never had this issue my previous Arris modem. I am in discussion with Shaw to see what we can do to remedy this issue. Maybe I will need to buy a router and bridge it and have Shaw reimburse me for the cost of the router. At this time, there doesn't seem to be a fix. 

14 Replies

I am sorry to hear of the troubles you've been experienci...

shaw-tony

@Upfront6891 I am sorry to hear of the troubles you've been experiencing. I checked into your modem and don't see it currently registering online. It may be a signal related issue if it randomly disconnects. Have you had a service visit to ensure the signal in your home is solid?

Yes. And the signal is solid green. Everything was fine w...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Yes. And the signal is solid green.

Everything was fine with the new less than one year old (non refurbished) Arris modem. Connections drop out even when connected by ethernet so we have eliminated a channel issue. 

Perhaps there's an iPV6 issue with these modems...I don't know. This modem is kind of noisy too in a quiet room. The previous Technicolor one wasn't silent either  The Arris was. There's nothing to like about this modem at all. Nothing. 

0 Kudos

Sorry, typo. I meant to write Hitron Modem.

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Sorry, typo. I meant to write Hitron Modem.

0 Kudos

Last year everyone was advocating the Technicolour modem....

rickatk
Master

@Upfront6891 wrote:

There really needs to be a recall and mass replacement of this modem. This is the second replacement Technicolor modem and the issue remains where it randomly disconnects from the internet but remains available thru 10.0.0.1.The disconnect remains for several minutes. 

This issue occurs whether you're using 2.4G or 5G SSIDs. I never had this issue my previous Arris modem. I am in discussion with Shaw to see what we can do to remedy this issue. Maybe I will need to buy a router and bridge it and have Shaw reimburse me for the cost of the router. At this time, there doesn't seem to be a fix. 

Last year There was much discussion about getting the Technicolour modem. It works better than the Arris version was the mantra. I got one, even though there was very little problem with the Arris. Perhaps minimally less wifi performance than my AirPort Extreme. I have had absolutely zero issues with my Technicolour modem/router in a non bridged state. Stable, very fast wifi. 

Consider getting your unit checked or replaced. Also you may have other problems with connection around the house. A service call might be in order.

Thanks for the history on the technicolor. We've been the...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Thanks for the history on the technicolor. We've been there, done that. No issues found in the building and unit. The only constant is the Technicolor modems.  

I think if we can get the Arris, that could very well resolve the issues. Should the problems remain, then Shaw obviously will need to investigate further at a higher level, say Tier 2. 

0 Kudos

Adding to my previous post, when I was reading about cabl...

rickatk
Master

@Upfront6891 wrote:

Thanks for the history on the technicolor. We've been there, done that. No issues found in the building and unit. The only constant is the Technicolor modems.  

I think if we can get the Arris, that could very well resolve the issues. Should the problems remain, then Shaw obviously will need to investigate further at a higher level, say Tier 2. 

Adding to my previous post, when I was reading about cable modem/routers I was surprised there were identical modems made by different manufacturers used by Shaw. While familiar with Arris products I had never heard of Technicolour. I thought the name was a little odd in the world of Arris and Motorola. Turns out Technicolour is a Cisco product or at least used to be and by all accounts has a better build than the Arris, according to posts in this forum. While vacationing in the US I noticed Technicolour gear being used by Spectrum Cable Systems so I guess Technicolour isn’t that obscure a product.. 

If you feel that all systems are good around your house, rather than changing to a different brand which has received plenty of complaints in this community,  I would suggest a new Technicolour modem first. Just to keep the variables to a minimum as you are troubleshooting your setup.

0 Kudos

Here's the thing though. It's terribly unlikely replacing...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

@rickatk wrote:

If you feel that all systems are good around your house, rather than changing to a different brand which has received plenty of complaints in this community,  I would suggest a new Technicolour modem first. Just to keep the variables to a minimum as you are troubleshooting your setup.

Here's the thing though. It's terribly unlikely replacing the Technicolor for the third time will resolve the issue. I'll be liaising again this week with Shaw support to figure something out. 

0 Kudos

> It's terribly unlikely replacing the Technicolor for th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> It's terribly unlikely replacing the Technicolor for the third time will resolve the issue.

Agreed. If the "intermittent" connection is somewhere inside your house's wiring, or, outside -- between your house and the Shaw equipment on the nearest telephone pole (ironically, "telephone" not "cable" pole), then replacing the modem will not help. Changing the spark-plugs when your automobile is out of gasoline will not help.  🙂

> I'll be liaising again this week with Shaw support to figure something out. 

Shaw can remotely connect to your modem, to measure signal-strength.

Have you tried a different coaxial-cable between your Shaw router and your coaxial wall-port?

Have you tried bypassing any coaxial "splitter" between the coaxial wall-port and your Shaw router?

On a site-visit, Shaw can check the signal-strength at each of your coaxial wall-ports.

Note that the "junction box" on the outside of your house has a splitter inside. Shaw can try replacing it.

Shaw wants to satisfy you, to keep you as a monthly-paying customer.

Indeed...I don't think the problem is with your modern Te...

rickatk
Master

@Upfront6891 wrote:

@rickatk wrote:

Here's the thing though. It's terribly unlikely replacing the Technicolor for the third time will resolve the issue. I'll be liaising again this week with Shaw support to figure something out. 

Indeed...I don't think the problem is with your modern Technicolour or Arris. Sounds like your problem is something other than the modem/router.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help