Shaw wifi pod gen 2

Slashy
Grasshopper

Shaw released gen 2 wifi pods in December. I was curious does anyone have these and know weather they can be hard wired directly into the blue curve modem? I know earlier generation had an issue with this but it’s required for my home layout.

Fibre+ WiFi Pods
(Gen. 2 - XE2-

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/about-fibre-wifi-pods/ta-p/5036

Labels (1)
15 Replies

-- the web-page that you cited states: Multiple Ethernet...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Slashy -- the web-page that you cited states:

Multiple Ethernet Ports (Fibre+ WiFi Pods only)
With a second ethernet port, Fibre+ WiFi Pods can now provide a wired connection to a second device.

> but it’s required for my home layout.

More details, please.

So, you can use Ethernet cables to connect up to two devices (desktop, notebook) to the pod.

There is no mention of using Ethernet to connect between your BlueCurve and the pods -- the pods communicate via WiFi to the BlueCurve.

Interesting - it would be great if we can use the pods wi...

brettich
Grasshopper

Interesting - it would be great if we can use the pods with a wired ethernet backhaul (vs dedicated wireless)  to the BlueCurve for longer distances. -out to the garage, different floors, etc... 

BR

0 Kudos

These pods are made by plume wireless and plume states th...

Slashy
Grasshopper

These pods are made by plume wireless and plume states they can be used with a wired connection back to the router. It would be nice if we could get a Shaw engineer to state if this is possible and if not why Shaw has disabled this option. My house has the coax in the basement and I get zero wireless signal on the top two floors making blue curve all but useless and I’m searching for an option to keep it.

-- My house has the coax in the basement and I get zero w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Slashy -- My house has the coax in the basement and I get zero wireless signal on the top two floors 

Do you have a "main floor" between the "basement" and the "top two" floors? If so, what level of wireless signal do you get on that "main floor" ?

That is exactly why Shaw offers a "mesh" of WiFi repeaters for rental. If you would prefer to purchase, people on this forum like their "Google Nest", which also are repeaters of the cable-modem's WiFi signal. Others bought their repeaters from Cisco/Linksys or from other third-party makers of networking equipment.

0 Kudos

I had a three story house. I  placed the modem gateway on...

rickatk
Master

I had a three story house. I  placed the modem gateway on the main floor. That took care of my needs in the garage and on the upper floor and lower floor.

Since then I have moved into a large rancher with bonus room. The Gateway has serviced all areas of the house reasonably. I have since added three Blue Curve pods with good results. Now I am trying a single Fibre Gig pod. 

Still testing. So far nothing spectacular 😃

0 Kudos

The coax is only located in the basement. The house is 10...

Slashy
Grasshopper

The coax is only located in the basement. The house is 100 years old and there is no signal between floors this is why I need my pods to be wired. Even if I had good signal between floors I prefer wired as it will always be better and noticeable. 

0 Kudos

You would need to get a wired access point. I am looking...

rstra
Grand Master

@Slashy You would need to get a wired access point. I am looking at a TP Link AP because I am just not happy with any mesh wireless extenders I have tried. 

0 Kudos

-- The house is 100 years old and there is no signal betw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Slashy -- The house is 100 years old and there is no signal between floors

Weird.

The 100+ year old houses in my area were built with wood, which should transmit wireless signals, e.g., your cell-phone should be able to send/receive calls, in any floor of the house.

Those houses were not built with metal or stone flooring or ceiling-tiles, which would impair the floor-to-floor WiFi signal-strength.

Maybe, you have a defective WiFi adapter inside your cable-modem ?

0 Kudos

After a power outage, some fiddling and troubleshooting w...

rickatk
Master

After a power outage, some fiddling and troubleshooting with the “‘Devices” name interface, my Gateway and new Fibre Gig Pod is up and running. The new pod is performing well. My devices are settling in correctly with either the Gateway or Pod. Using the single more powerful pod seems to have helped out with the devices connecting to the most appropriate access point.

During this exercise and while trying to troubleshoot a problem with device names being displayed correctly in the Blue Curve app,  I discovered the Blue Curve Web page. This is a web version of the Blue Curve app. More on that in a separate post.

Sadly Shaw support was of no help. Long time waiting over two days just to be disconnected for an agent “coffee break.”

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help