-- just to be disconnected for an agent “coffee break" Gi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- just to be disconnected for an agent “coffee break"

Given the proliferation of working-from-home employees, was it "coffee" or "toilet" (human or dog) or "child-care" break ???

Hopefully, you were not connected to Dogbert Tech Support.   🙂

0 Kudos

I don’t begrudge anyone for taking a break be it schedule...

rickatk
Master

I don’t begrudge anyone for taking a break be it scheduled or unscheduled. My concern arises more out of being disconnected after multiple attempts calling in. I was assured My ticked would be passed along. Then along the way my chat got disconnected.

At any rate Shaw management looked into the matter. Procedures were broken at their end. 

Be sure to raise these concerns, it’s the only way Shaw can make improvements.

0 Kudos

I also have a hundred year old house. The problem is that...

Ruthn
Grasshopper

I also have a hundred year old house. The problem is that many of these houses where so well built with lathe and plaster between their walls, so  the signal has to go through at least two layers of lathe and plaster which is much stronger than drywall. My house is so sound proof because of this that you can hardly hear things going on in the next room or outside and the plaster I can imagine easily blocks signals. 

0 Kudos

--  I can imagine easily blocks signals If it were my hou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ruthn --  I can imagine easily blocks signals

If it were my house, I would place a WiFi-using computer in the same room as the cable-modem, and run the Shaw Speed Test a few times. Then, move the computer into the next room, with only the plaster/lath wall between the cable-modem and the computer, and repeat the testing, to get a quantitative result for the conjecture.

Obviously, WiFi signals can penetrate walls inside a residential building.

Yesterday's TV episode of "S.W.A.T." showed them using a heat-sensor device from outside a building, to count the number of people inside a store-front business.  a truthful representation of that wall-piercing technology, or a "special-effect" to add to the show's drama? 

0 Kudos

I would think running ethernet cable throughout the house...

rickatk
Master

I would think running ethernet cable throughout the house then terminating each run with a pod would be an interesting way of reaching hard get areas. Distributing the wireless signal  for the last few feet to rooms etc.

For example running a wire from the gateway on the main floor to a pod on the upper and lower floor would be quite effective for spreading around the wifi.

I am not too sure how the adaptive mesh would work in that kind of set up if at all. Perhaps the devices closest to each pod would connect as you would expect or the pods would simply become and extension of the gateway.

0 Kudos

-- I would think running ethernet cable throughout the ho...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- I would think running ethernet cable throughout the house then terminating each run with a pod would be an interesting way of reaching hard get areas. Distributing the wireless signal  for the last few feet to rooms etc.

Do the Shaw WiFi pods accept "input" via Ethernet, or were they designed to communicate wirelessly with the BlueCurve, and to offer WiFi and 1 (generation 1) or 2 (generation 2) Ethernet connections to a computer?

If you are going to run Ethernet to a secondary location, then connect that Ethernet to the WAN port on a third-party router with WiFi capability. Create an SSID for that router, and wirelessly connect your device(s) to that SSID.

TALK TO US
We're here to help