ShawOpen Wifi Throttling

thalps29
Grasshopper

I know that Shaw claims to not throttle but my experience would make it seem like they do. I have used the same ShawOpen connection for a year now and up until about a month ago it was great. Now when I first log on I have speeds of at least 30Mps but after approximately 2 minutes it will drop down to 1Mps and be almost unusable. I have screenshots from speedtest.net showing this. I have 3 different devices one is an MSI Gamer Laptop, one is a Microsoft surface and one is an iPhone and all three have the exact same thing happen, fast for the first 2 minutes then slower than dialup. Clearly its not signal strength or blockages etc. Any ideas? PS I have Shaw 300 at home and it works as advertised on all devices.

Labels (1)
17 Replies

Re: ShawOpen Wifi Throttling

shaw-tamara

Hi  

That's very strange! Is this happening at the same location or have you tested multiple Shaw Go WiFi hotspots?

0 Kudos

thalps29
Grasshopper

It is only this location, all other locations I use work just fine.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

thalps29 there may be area interference causing issues or something else. I'd like to check in on the local access point. Can you give me the address or location mapped on our hotspots here.

0 Kudos

thalps29
Grasshopper

229, 18525 53 Avenue Surrey BC

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

thalps29 Thank you for the details. I checked in with our Shaw Open WiFi analyst and they advised the access point is operating normally with no issues. There may be many users connected to the AP using up the bandwidth which is why you are only noticing this specific AP have slower speeds. 

0 Kudos

thalps29
Grasshopper

That's very disappointing as I can honestly say the only reason I have stayed with my Shaw plan at home was because of this access point. Without it that literally changes any desire to stay with Shaw. Thank you for your honest answer though.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

I do understand your frustrations and appreciate your feedback. I do see the equipment on site was rebooted which should fix most issues. Please report back a speed test the next time you are in the area.

0 Kudos

thalps29
Grasshopper

I saw the Shaw van here yesterday morning and it was fabulous until around noon then everything dialed down again. 

0 Kudos

thalps29
Grasshopper

It is better now its 8.4 down which is very acceptable.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help