Re: ShawOpen Wifi Throttling

thalps29
Grasshopper

Well it was great for about a week after the reboot. Speed was consistent through out the day all day but then 3 days ago boom once again unusable. Something is clearly wrong and no one can argue signal strength etc because all is good. Have tried on my 23 different devices all with the same results.

0 Kudos

thalps29
Grasshopper

.....3 devices not 23

0 Kudos

thalps29
Grasshopper

just tested 0.67 mbps down and nothing up

While it was working for the entire week after the reboot it ranged from 10 to 19 mpbs.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

thalps29 the signal to the equipment onsite is still solid with no other reports of issues. I'd recommend having the business owner reach out to us here to investigate further.

0 Kudos

In my opinion they 100% throttle and I plan on making a p...

Gearbow
Grasshopper

In my opinion they 100% throttle and I plan on making a phone call tomorrow to find out why especially when I'm paying for fast internet.  

0 Kudos

Soon after Microsoft Windows 10 connects to the Internet,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Soon after Microsoft Windows 10 connects to the Internet, it will launch Windows Update, and will try to download updates, such as the daily update to the Microsoft anti-virus software.

So, at home, open Windows Update, and let it complete. Then, try your "23" 🙂 computers at that Shaw Go WiFi hot-spot.

Can you take a friend, with their own laptop, to the same location, and run "side-by-side" with your computer, to see if there is a difference?

0 Kudos

I’ve been having this problem for years now in Edmonton....

samsonality
Grasshopper

I’ve been having this problem for years now in Edmonton.  I happily use Shaw open in random places on my work lunch breaks, and it works great for weeks to months.  Then all of a sudden I can’t load any websites.  I can connect to Shaw open fine.  Full signal bars.  But it takes a terribly long time to load a website if it even does at all.

0 Kudos

-- what device are you using to connect to ShawOpen? As p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@samsonality -- what device are you using to connect to ShawOpen?

As previously mentioned in this thread, if you have a Windows-based computer, then "Windows Update" may be "calling home" and downloading security updates, thus consuming most of your bandwidth. Open the Windows "Task Manager", to see the percentage for "CPU-busy", and to see the instantaneous Internet access speed.

TALK TO US
We're here to help