slow internet 600

JetsJon
Grasshopper

so I've had problems with internet 600 for MONTHS here. poor speed 110 max and im less than 10 feet away on my pc and xbox, dropping internet etc. Complained to shaw, they sent me a new router, same problem. Called them, they sent a tech who had no clue what was wrong. he then "covered" saying it was the people who made the routers issue, shaw was aware and it would be fixed. well, it's still not fixed, the problems are the same, and i'm wasting money on a service i'm not at all getting. 

called back shaw, same old bs, so when are you actually going to fix this ? looking at the forum this has been an issue for quite some time and i'm not the only one with the problem i think its high time a real explanation was given and not a cover

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

--  i think its high time a real explanation was given an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JetsJon --  i think its high time a real explanation was given and not a cover

First, check your hardware and Shaw's infrastructure, before you launch a class-action law-suit.

> looking at the forum, this has been an issue for quite some time 

And yet I see some participants on this forum who are satisfied with their BlueCurve -- they are getting the speeds they are paying for.

Given that you switched routers, with no change, I would guess that the problem is somewhere else:

1. undo the coaxial-cable between your cable-modem and your wall-port, and reconnect it, very tightly.
  2. try a different coaxial-cable.
  3. if you have another active wall-port in your home, connect your cable-modem to that wall-port, and run the Shaw Speed Test,
  4. try a different Ethernet cable between your computer and your cable-modem.
  5. be sure that the printing on the cable reads "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6", because "CAT-5" is limited to 100 Mbps.
  6. connect your Ethernet cable to a different port on your cable-modem.
  7. Be sure to have a computer with a 2.5 Ghz, or faster, processor, to ensure that the Shaw Speed Test will run at its full speed.
  8. Try a different computer.
  9. Try using WiFi, instead of Ethernet when running the Speed Test. Depending on the WiFi adapter, you should get 56 Mbps ("Wireless G") or 150 Mbps ("Wireless N"), or 300 Mbps (2-channels of 150 Mbps), or up to 1300 Mbps ("Wireless AC"), provided, of course that you are subscribed to "Fibre+ Max" at 1500 Mbps.
  10. Contact Shaw, and get the Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" reaching the device.

Since you have the 600 speed, you must have the BlueCurve cable-modem, not the HITRON (maxes-out at 300 Mbps).

When I run the Speed Test through my HITRON, I get about 5% more than the "300/15" that I paying for.

I'd never launch a law suit at all, not my style, im just...

JetsJon
Grasshopper

I'd never launch a law suit at all, not my style, im just fed up with excuses.

Spoken with shaw several times, id be willing to bet a good tech would figure it out, the last guy didn't do a whole lot, we did move placement in the house a few times with him and did replace the cable.

We do have the blue curve and just after this made a notable discovery, I can not change the channels on the modem, and the channel currently set on is the worst channel. So I guess yet another call to shaw there too. We had the Hilton previously.

I will say that the tech that came out said the levels coming into the house were very good... so I did get one valuable piece of information.

As for infrastructure the city I live in just had some "major upgrades" done about 8 months ago...or so we were told

0 Kudos

Originally I was on shaw 300 and was seeing download spee...

Red_Deer_Tch
Grasshopper

Originally I was on shaw 300 and was seeing download speeds of over 300 normally. Then I was bumped to 600 and the speed never got that high. Now I am on 750 and seeing 250 to 350 maximum no matter what steps I take. Shaw days things look good on their end...

0 Kudos

Out of curiosity what does shaw tell you ? No idea have t...

JetsJon
Grasshopper

Out of curiosity what does shaw tell you ? No idea have to dispatch a tech that can't fix it ? Done that multiple times for us

0 Kudos

-- I was bumped to 600; the speed never got that high. No...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Red_Deer_Tch -- I was bumped to 600; the speed never got that high. Now I am on 750 and seeing 250 to 350 maximum

Before launching the Shaw Speed Test, open the Windows Task Manager, and select the "Performance" tab.

Minimize that window, and launch the Speed Test.

Immediately restore the Task Manager window. Does the CPU show 100% busy (or 2 processors each 50% busy) ? If so, then your computer is not capable of running the Speed Test at its maximum speed, which will result in "less than 750" speed being reported.

Or, simultaneously launch the Speed Test on two Ethernet-connected computers, to determine the aggregated download speed.

0 Kudos

-- I can not change the channels on the modem Dead batter...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JetsJon -- I can not change the channels on the modem

Dead batteries in the Shaw remote control?

Not pointing the remote-control at the BlueCurve?

Some obstacle partially in front of the BlueCurve, blocking the signal from the remote?

Not the correct remote control device?

0 Kudos

do you have band steering turned on or are you running se...

rstra
Grand Master

@jetson do you have band steering turned on or are you running separate 2.4 and 5 ghz networks? Also, did you have the Shaw pods installed and then remove them?

0 Kudos

No I was referring to wifi channels, not tv channels, I'v...

JetsJon
Grasshopper

No I was referring to wifi channels, not tv channels, I've gone as far as finding which channels are best for wifi ie. Not as many people using them

0 Kudos

Using the 5g, if I use the 2.4 its by far worse, as for t...

JetsJon
Grasshopper

Using the 5g, if I use the 2.4 its by far worse, as for the pods they won't work with 5g. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help