Slow Wireless Speeds with Wifi6 modem

Mike-C
Grasshopper

Anyone else  on Shaws gigabit plan getting rediculously slow wireless speed,  ive called tech numerous  times,  had 2 technicians  come to my house,  and all to no avail, all iam told is their aware of a problem  with their Wifi6 modems. This has been going on for a month and a half, and i still have no idea, when,where, or even how they will fix it.   

Labels (1)
10 Replies

I have been having this issue too since May. What I did w...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

I have been having this issue too since May. What I did was buy a 3rd party router, now my speeds seem to be going well. I am just glad that Shaw is at least starting to recognize at this is a problem. I kept getting the run around from Shaw and zero support on this issue so I am frustrated with that experience. I live in a small apartment we shouldn't have to buy external gear to get the speeds we pay for. That is just my frustrations though. Hope they fix this issue once and for all for everyone. 

Can you clarify what speed problems you were having with...

rickatk
Master

@gordon1111 Can you clarify what speed problems you were having with the Shaw router and how the new router improved things vis a vis what are the new speeds you are getting. 

Thanks

0 Kudos

can you clarify what “ridiculously slow” means in terms o...

rickatk
Master

@Mike-C can you clarify what “ridiculously slow” means in terms of actual speeds.

Did you ever get the problem solved.

0 Kudos

my one desktop went from 850Mps  to about 200Mps  this de...

Mike-C
Grasshopper

my one desktop went from 850Mps  to about 200Mps  this desktop has a AX card,   my other desktop is lucky to get 60Mps. as far as getting problem solved, its been a month and a half, and i still no clue what the definitive problem, and when or even if they will fix  it.  I  was told  they think it might be a chipset issue in the technocolour  wifi6 modem because the other model they use doesnt seem to be having these problems,  so naturally i said "well swap mine out with the other model"  to which they said we dont know how to tell which one is which

0 Kudos

I was getting 200-230mbps on just the Shaw router XB7 I w...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

I was getting 200-230mbps on just the Shaw router XB7 I was getting 500-650 on XB6. It would fix its self on manual setting with the xb7 and I was going to leave it at that but when I went to Costco I walked past the D-Link router for $120 so I thought I would try it, speeds now are 600-750mbps.  There are reports by a lot of customers with these issues even on these forums and on Shaw reddit forum. 

0 Kudos

To continue my saga  with Shaw, i just got a call from th...

Mike-C
Grasshopper

To continue my saga  with Shaw, i just got a call from them, and are now positive thier hiding  something,  they know what the problem is,  but wont come out and say it, i believe its an inerrant problem, with the XB7 and thier waiting  for the manufacturer  to fix the problem.  in the mean time   they offered a couple choices  that  both would not fix my problem, and at best was just a bandaid.  and at worst  to downgrade me to a XB6   which also  would not give me any where near gigabit service.  Ive been with Shaw  for years had thier 300Mbit,  and never had an issue  needless to say  thier driving me to telus.  😞

0 Kudos

-- if you connect one of the LAN ports on the XB6 to your...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mike-C -- if you connect one of the LAN ports on the XB6 to your own equipment, namely a router that provides AC speeds, what speed do you get over WiFi, when connecting to your own router's WiFi?

You do not need to "bridge" the XB6 to add your own WiFi-capable router.

0 Kudos

I dont have a separate  router to try, and with monthly p...

Mike-C
Grasshopper

I dont have a separate  router to try, and with monthly price iam paying for net,  i shouldnt have to. Also i believe i have the XB7  the white one. I did mention technocolor modem in a earlier post,  but did so because thats what the last tech who was here called it.

0 Kudos

-- I don't have a separate  router to try ... Have you tr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mike-C -- I don't have a separate  router to try ...

Have you tried a complete power-off of the XB7 -- disconnecting the AC power for a few minute, and then a restart, and then remeasuring?

Do you have a friend with a router that you can borrow, for a few hours?

Or, buy one from a store (Walmart?) that has a "no questions asked" return policy, and experiment, in the hope that you'll discover something that leads to a solution.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help