>  I noticed that the cable running from the modem to the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I noticed that the cable running from the modem to the router was a CAT-5 cable and I still received the higher speeds with the first router. 

A "CAT-5" cable is "certified" to work at 100 Mbits/second, but, in practice, it may work faster, e.g., 200 Mbits/second, as you have observed.

> So could it have something to do with my CAT-5e wiring throughout the house?

I'm not an electronics engineer, but I suspect that the length of the cable, and the co-requisite "power" to push the electrical signals a longer distance, will affect the performance of the data-transfer.  Also, while a fiber-optic cable transmits at the speed of light, I wonder how much slower that signals will propagate through copper wires?

that is a possibility depending when the wiring was put i...

shaw-tony

@gloo that is a possibility depending when the wiring was put in. Checking your account, I see that there is a second IP enabled for when the Hitron is bridged, 2 routers can be plugged into the modem (I previously had a similar setup). Are you plugging in your C2600 to the DIR-655? If so, that generally causes an IP mismatch that can impact your speeds. 

0 Kudos

Yes there are 2 IP addresses enabled. The Hitron is conne...

gloo
Grasshopper

Yes there are 2 IP addresses enabled.

The Hitron is connected to the DIR-655, which is connected to the C2600 by a CAT5E cable.  The C2600 is set up as an access point. 

0 Kudos

The length of the cable is less than 100m.

gloo
Grasshopper

The length of the cable is less than 100m.

0 Kudos

ah, the correct setup should be the C2600 and DIR-655 con...

shaw-tony

@gloo ah, the correct setup should be the C2600 and DIR-655 connecting to the Hitron separately. The daisy chain setup will cause an IP-mismatch issue.

DIR-655

|

Hitron 

|

C2600

I am using the C2600 as an access point and adjusted the...

gloo
Grasshopper

I am using the C2600 as an access point and adjusted the settings accordingly. Also, when I connect a computer to the DIR655 via a CAT5e cable that is hardwired to the wall I still receive the lower speeds. The cable should be less than 100m in length, but could that be the issue?

0 Kudos

I'd recommend testing a direct connection to the Hitron f...

shaw-tony

@gloo I'd recommend testing a direct connection to the Hitron first to see if you are getting expected speeds (bypass router/AP). If you are getting good speeds there, then try testing a closer connection with your DIR655 (disconnect the C2600) to see if you receive the same speeds as the direct connection to the Hitron. It may also be previous settings on the Hitron or your DIR655 causing problems. I've personally had a 50 ft ethernet cable with no issues (haven't tested 100 ft).

0 Kudos

the 655 wont reach anywhere near gigabit speeds. Dlink sh...

bingo-bango
Grasshopper

the 655 wont reach anywhere near gigabit speeds.

Dlink should be sued for a blatant lie that its a gigabit router.

I used to get 178 download speed on 150 with the 655, then when I got "upgraded" to 300, the download speed dropped to 150 or less.

I had to buy another router with real gigabit to get up to about 330.

I'm sorry I upgrade to 300 because other than speed tests, there isn't much improvement.

Most sites limit speeds to 300Kb so 300Mb is usless

0 Kudos

When I connect a laptop directly to the Hitron I receive...

gloo
Grasshopper

When I connect a laptop directly to the Hitron I receive the higher speeds. When I connect the laptop to the DIR655 (Ethernet) I receive similar high speeds. When I connect the laptop to the DIR655 via Ethernet cable that’s installed in the wall I receive the lower speed. So I don’t think it’s either router but the wiring in the wall although I can confirm that it is a CAT5e cable. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

did you previously receive faster speeds or it recently d...

shaw-tony

@gloo did you previously receive faster speeds or it recently dropped off? It may be a router setting that is causing the slow down if the wiring in your home is CAT5e. I'd recommend a full router restore.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help