Slower speeds when Hitron CGNH-2250 is bridged

gloo
Grasshopper

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my internet from 75 to 300.  I noticed that the internet speeds did not increase significantly and I contacted Tech Support. Long story short is when the Hitron modem is "bridged", I receive lower speeds (around 80-90 Mbps) compared to when it is not "bridged" (around 200Mbps).  The Shaw Tech said that they see the 300Mbps is being sent to the modem.  I spent hours with the Tech but couldn't figure out what's going on.  Anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions?

Due to the wiring of my house (long story), I have the following set up:

Hitron (bridged) connected to a D-Link DIR-655 router (root router) which is connected to a TP-LINK Archer C2600 router (Access Point). Both routers are Gigabit Ethernet routers and, as far as I understand it, should be able to process speeds up to 300Mbps.

thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies

> Both routers are Gigabit Ethernet routers and, as far a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Both routers are Gigabit Ethernet routers and, as far as I understand it, should be able to process speeds up to 300Mbps.

Check your Ethernet cables. The "CAT-5" cables are certified only up to 100Mbps. Replace the cables by "CAT-5e" -- certified up to 1 Gigabit -- or by the fastest "CAT-6" cables.

Connect one of your computers directly to your D-Link router, and confirm that it connects at 1 Gigabit, not 100Mbps, and run the Shaw SpeedTest.

Confirm that the router-to-router Ethernet connection is running at 1 Gigabit.

Confirm that your computer-to-TP-Link Ethernet connection is running at 1 Gigabit.

0 Kudos

>Check your Ethernet cables. The "CAT-5" cables are certi...

gloo
Grasshopper

>Check your Ethernet cables. The "CAT-5" cables are certified only up to 100Mbps. Replace the cables by "CAT-5e" -- certified up to 1 Gigabit -- or by the fastest "CAT-6" cables.

the cable connecting the Hitron to the router is Cat-5e.  I switched it with a Cat-6 to see if there was any difference and the speed was still the same.  I've had the cables for a few years so I'll try to locate another one and see if there is a difference.  In the meantime, any other suggestions?  I didn't think of the cables so I appreciate the suggestion.

0 Kudos

On the device that is connected to your TP-LINK Archer C2...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

On the device that is connected to your TP-LINK Archer C2600 router (Access Point), that is running the Shaw Speed Test, is it using wireless or is it using a CAT-5 or CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable?  If wireless, what is the capability of the wireless adapter (G? N? AC?). It could be that adapter is the bottleneck that limits the measured speed.  Also, if wireless, how far away is the device from the TP-LINK?

0 Kudos

I tested both wired and wireless connection to the Archer...

gloo
Grasshopper

I tested both wired and wireless connection to the Archer C2600.  It is connected with a CAT-5e and the wireless is AC.  I think the issue may be with the Dlink router.  I'm still searching for new cables to test it out.  I may have to swap the routers to confirm.

0 Kudos

I just connected a laptop (separate from the main compute...

gloo
Grasshopper

I just connected a laptop (separate from the main computer)  to the Dlink router via CAT-6 and received about 200Mbps.  Wireless I received 80Mbps.  When I used this laptop to connect to the port that's connected to the main computer upstairs (the house is wired with CAT-5e), which is connected to the Dlink router, i received 90Mbps.  I received the same speeds when I connected this laptop to the Archer.  I'm starting to think that it's the wiring throughout the house that's the issue.  This is confusing because I can confirm that it is CAT-5e.

0 Kudos

what happens when you bypass both routers and connect you...

shaw-tony

@gloo what happens when you bypass both routers and connect your laptop directly to the modem with a CAT-5e cable? Alternatively, you can connect your home wiring direct to the modem to test if they limit you to 100 Mbps.

0 Kudos

I received a message on the laptop (Mac) that the IP addr...

gloo
Grasshopper

I received a message on the laptop (Mac) that the IP address was “self assigned” and cannot connect.  I received the same message when I connected my other computer via home wiring directly to the modem. 

0 Kudos

>  ... the IP address was “self assigned” and cannot conn...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  ... the IP address was “self assigned” and cannot connect.  

> I received the same message when I connected my other computer via home wiring directly to the modem.

Did you manually self-configure your Mac laptop to a specific IP-address? Change the networking setup to DHCP ("dynamic host configuration protocol"). Power-off your modem, wait a few seconds, power-on the modem, and allow it to completely restart. Then, restart your laptop, and see if you get Internet connectivity.

I was finally able to connect the laptop directly to the...

gloo
Grasshopper

I was finally able to connect the laptop directly to the modem. I received the expected speed of over 200 Mbps.  I subsequently connected the laptop to the first router again, and again received speed over 200Mbps. I actually noticed that the cable running from the modem to the router was a cat five cable and I still received the higher speeds with the first router. 

So could it have something to do with my cat 5E wiring throughout the house?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help