So fed up with slow Wifi speeds.

gannonb
Grasshopper

Speed test consistently gets 20MPS and all my older devices get over 400MBS. I've done everything. Shaw support over the phone, tech came to the house. All other devices work fantastic except for my WIndows 10 Dell i7. Reset the adapter, reset the modem... UGH!

Labels (2)
11 Replies

Re: So fed up with slow Wifi speeds.

shaw-tony

Hey gannonb,

That is very odd since it is fine on all other devices. It may be an issue with the network card (software or hardware) that is limiting the speeds. Are you getting full speeds on an ethernet connection direct to the PC?

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

gannonb
Grasshopper

Laptop does not have an Ethernet port. Adapter is very similar to my other laptop and network card and all settings are appropriate. Disabled firewalls, uninstalled Mcafee etc. No luck

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

gannonb it may be a browser issue. Can you run a speed test using  Google Chrome and Internet Explorer in incognito mode and disable any Chrome extensions to see if your speeds improve?

0 Kudos

gannonb
Grasshopper

Thanks for the advice Tony. Didn't help at all.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

hmm, can you try and run a speed test while your Dell computer in safe mode with networking? 

0 Kudos

gannonb
Grasshopper

Thanks Tony, but I had tried that already. It only works with an ethernet cable, this laptop does not have one.

0 Kudos

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> All other devices work fantastic except for my WIndows 10 Dell i7.

How old is the computer?  Was it factory-shipped with Windows 7, and then upgraded to Windows 10?

Exactly what model-number is your DELL?  With that information, including the Dell Service Tag, check the web-site: support.dell.com to get the specifications for your system, and for your wireless adapter.

It is possible that your DELL's wireless-adapter is "old", i.e., does not support the newer wireless protocols, namely 'N' or 'AC', which are necessary to achieve the best speeds that the HITRON modem can provide.

P.S. Got a friend with a different laptop, who can try to connect to your WiFi network, to see what speed it gets?

0 Kudos

gannonb
Grasshopper

Thanks MDK! Less than 2 years old, factory shipped with Windows 10. Adapter is relatively new and supports the 'N' and "AC" protocols. Thanks for the offer, but I have had several other laptops and phones all getting terrific speeds. When we first added the Blue Curve modem and upgraded it worked great. Something happened with either McAfee software or other firewall settings possibly that I cannot for the life of me figure out. Disabled and removed and reloaded everything. Still cannot replicate what I got in the first week or two of the new service.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

gannonb when the computer is running in safe mode with networking, the WiFi should be enabled for testing. Antivirus or software settings may be causing the speeds to drop. Are you able to run a speed test at a friends house to ensure the adapter on your laptop is getting the maximum speeds? If it is not, then you will have to contact Dell for assistance.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help