Stop Shaw from changing DNS via Hitron

whomever
Grasshopper

Greets

ISSUE:

On a weekly basis now, for last 3 - 4 weeks, the WAN changes and there is no Internet.
LAN works in that each 'device' is visible in the Hitron GUI
(Basic Settings > LAN Setup > Connected Devices > Show)

TESTS I've Done:

1. Unplug pwr adapter, wait 60 seconds and plug back in.
  2. Unplug Co-ax, wait 30 seconds and plug back in.
  3. Do steps 1 and 2 together and plug all back in, coax first.
  4.  Call Shaw Customer Service and,
    1. repeat the above steps with the CS plus after plugging in Hitron pwr adapter into a another wall outlet. 
    2. CS does remote reboot.
    3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2.
  5. I reset to Factory Settings
  6. Access Hitron GUI
  7. Change Admin Password again
  8. Change client accessing Network passwords (security key) both IP4 and IPV6
  9. Change DNS to privacy-respecting DNS server. 
  10. Change SSID
  11. Save and exit and ignore the "Page could not be found" from the GUI
  12. I now have temporary Internet again.

This will change again when Shaw next frisks my system and resets some Hitron settings. Then I must repeat steps 5 to 11. 

QUESTION/s

• May I extend the DHCP Lease Time setting from 1 week to Forever? (GUI > Basic Settings > DHCP Lease Time > Save Changes)  Will that help?

• Some of the articles in the museum here of similar issues in 2018 refer to buying and adding another modem. Might that fix it?

• Might setting up a Pi-Hole be better than another modem and maintain a Internet Speed of between 70 - 85 Mbps?

TIA

~w

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Contact Shaw again and see if they will swap your modem,...

rstra
Grand Master

@whomever Contact Shaw again and see if they will swap your modem, or book a service call. You could try bridging or doing IP passthrough with the Hitron and add your own router, but I would try with a new modem first. Could be also bad cable signal, which would require a service call.

0 Kudos

--  May I extend the DHCP Lease Time setting from 1 week...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- 

• May I extend the DHCP Lease Time setting from 1 week to Forever? (GUI > Basic Settings > DHCP Lease Time > Save Changes)  Will that help?

Are you talking about the TTL (Time To Live) sent to your cable-modem by Shaw's DHCP-server, or the TTL that the DHCP-server inside the cable-modem gives to each of your local devices, when assigning a "private" IP-address in response to a request?

0 Kudos

I already have another Hitron they left in case the prese...

whomever
Grasshopper

I already have another Hitron they left in case the present one quits. I know I have to all them to activate it. But so far, the only hitch is the way the modem seems to handle things. I've noted the last date this happened and watching to see if one week later, the DHCP lease renews and there is same issue arises. 

Thanks @rstra for your time.

0 Kudos

I assume it's the DHCP under modems menu Basic Settings:...

whomever
Grasshopper

I assume it's the DHCP under modems menu Basic Settings:
I only mention this DHCP because it seems the modem needing factory reset was a weekly event. Happened 3 times.
I could not find TTL setting, so gather it might be "DCHP Lease Time"

I have done a Factory Reset, manually restored the Hitron settings to use my preferred DNS, login password, and SSID name then saved it via the GUI.
But when I do another factory reset, and then restore the settings via the GUI, at completion I get a "Page Not Found", and  must use manual restore = type it all in again.

I'm also considering Pi-hole. I have the Pi, I am waiting to see if I should get another  modem to tie into this one, use Pi-hole.

dhcp_lease_time_2.JPG

0 Kudos

-- I could not find TTL setting, so gather it might be "D...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- I could not find TTL setting, so gather it might be "DCHP [sic] Lease Time"

TTL == Time To Live (for the lease)

So, your gathering is correct.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help