Jump to solution

Suddenly the coax outlet in my bedroom not working anymore

HungNguyen
Grasshopper

As the title say, I think today November 13th there is a outage or Shaw maintainance going on through out the country. After that, the modem connecting to the coax in my bedroom suddenly not working anymore. I have moved to my current place around 3 months ago and since then everything was working perfectly fine, up until now. What makes me confused more is the coax outlet in the kitchen somehow is working with my modem, but not the one in the bedroom anymore. I have a PC connecting ethernet directly from the modem in my bedroom but now I cannot connect it anymore since the wire is not long enough to the kitchen for me to plug it. So anyone knows what might be the problem happens with my coax outlet or the modem? Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

It isn’t an outage causing the problem if the outlet in t...

rstra
Grand Master

It isn’t an outage causing the problem if the outlet in the kitchen works. Make sure all connections are tight, including the one behind the wall plate and any accessible connector is in the house. If you still can’t get it working, call Shaw to get a service tech out to fix it. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

It isn’t an outage causing the problem if the outlet in t...

rstra
Grand Master

It isn’t an outage causing the problem if the outlet in the kitchen works. Make sure all connections are tight, including the one behind the wall plate and any accessible connector is in the house. If you still can’t get it working, call Shaw to get a service tech out to fix it. 

Jump to solution

All right thank you for the suggestion, appreciate that

HungNguyen
Grasshopper

All right thank you for the suggestion, appreciate that

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, as usual,  gives correct advice, namely to contact S...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Yes, as usual, @rstra gives correct advice, namely to contact Shaw, if the remedial steps he suggested do not work for you.

However, if you want to temporarily bypass the problem:

1. connect the cable-modem to the active wall-port,
  2. read the label on the modem, for the SSID for your WiFi, and for the password for your WiFi.
  3. if you have a modern notebook computer, it will have a built-in WiFi adapter. Use the SSID and its password to connect from your computer to your cable-modem, to get Internet access.
  4. if you have a modern desktop computer, some of them (especially DELL) also have a built-in WiFi adapter. To check, click with the second (usually the right-side) button of your mouse on the Windows "start" button, and choose "Device Manager". Expand that "tree" to see the entries under "Network". You might see a listing for a WiFi adapter.  If you do, use the SSID/password to get Internet access.
  5. If your desktop computer does not have any built-in WiFi, it is possible to inexpensively purchase a WiFi adapter that connects to a USB port on your computer, to add WiFi capability. Configure it with the SSID/password to get Internet access. This adapter could be "Wireless N" -- up to 150 Mbits/second, if you are subscribed to Fibre+ 150 (or anything faster), or it could be "Wireless AC" -- up to 1000 Mbits/second, if you are subscribed to one of Shaw's faster Internet plans.

I hope this helps.

TALK TO US
We're here to help