I went In to see what the problem was and the people said...

dcsul
Grasshopper

I went In to see what the problem was and the people said I needed to get 300 service and yet I have 300 , the lady at the store said I do not have 300 ... my kids can not do school work because keeps kicking out A’s so slow ,very sad when everything was great until our contract was up then sucked 

0 Kudos

my speed is super slow it's because someone is bridging t...

Jason1944
Grasshopper

my speed is super slow it's because someone is bridging to my blue curve how do I disconnect that bridge 

0 Kudos

hmm, that is odd. Are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi...

shaw-tony

@dcsul hmm, that is odd. Are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi or are direct ethernet connections slow as well? What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos

just to better understand your situation. Is it a physica...

shaw-tony

@Jason1944 just to better understand your situation. Is it a physical bridge (ethernet) or through WiFi? 

0 Kudos

> my kids can not do school work because keeps kicking ou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> my kids can not do school work because keeps kicking out A’s so slow.

Yikes.  Great expectations.

I did some of my university-work with a dial-up modem, delivering 50 Kilobits/second, not the 300 Megabits/second that I currently am getting -- only 6000 times faster!

Note that getting 300 Mbps to your computer is dependent on the web-site being able to "push" out its responses at 300 Mbps.

Compare to driving from your in-city residence to grandma's residence in a different city. On your own street, you cannot drive more then 30 Km/hour. When you reach the highway, you can drive at 80 Km/hour, but the "last mile" to grandma's house is restricted to 30 Km/hour.

If that web-server has a 100 Mbps connection, and several users simultaneously are pulling content from that web-site, nobody gets the "full" 100 Mbps speed.

Finally, note that the Shaw Speedtest site uses a lot of your computer's processor.

On a 1.6 Ghz dual-core desktop computer, I could get just over 100 Mb/s over Ethernet, and the Windows "Task Manager" was showing that the processors were running at 100% usage.

Replacing it by a 3.0 Ghz dual-core desktop computer, I got much faster speeds, and the processors were well below 100% usage.

I have reached out. Many times.  I have tried many things...

Sfisher1
Grasshopper

I have reached out. Many times.  I have tried many things to at least have consistent upload and download speeds.  Not only are they not what I am supposed to be paying for, after leaving Vancouver Island for the Okanogan, but I have had to cancel subscriptions to things like Netflix and Disney Channel because the words don't match the lips moving, and its constantly spinning.  I may have another 5 more months with Shaw, but to stay with them not only the prices have to be affordable, but I need to get close to what I am supposed to be paying for.  Customer service is good.  But really tired of the mismatched speeds here.  Seems like it is mostly at night when there are more people using the net.

0 Kudos

Note that some Ethernet cables are "CAT-5" (labelled alon...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Note that some Ethernet cables are "CAT-5" (labelled along the length of the cable), which is certified for speeds up to 100 Mbits/second. Such cables may have worked at your previous speed, namely 150 Mbits/second.  But, to support 300 Mbits/second, you need either "CAT-5e" cable -- certified to 1000 Mbits/second, or the newest/fastest "CAT-6" cable.

Also, the WiFi adapter in your laptop may max-out at a speed less than 300 Mbits/second, making it the "bottle-neck".]

0 Kudos

Shaw Internet 300 seems like a scam. Prior to the "upgrad...

this_means_you
Grasshopper

Shaw Internet 300 seems like a scam. Prior to the "upgrade" to Shaw Internet 300 we had faster Internet speed. Now everybody in the family is blaming me for choosing to "upgrade" and have ourselves locked into a 2-year contract.

Shaw claims Internet 300 gives the customer:

Up to 300 Mbps download speeds9

Up to 15 Mbps uploads9

but my test result shows:

Download speed: 8.88

Upload: 11.56

The positive is at least half of the claim is close to being true. Maybe I just have the bad luck of being surrounded by neighbours who are all streaming video or playing games online:)  

> Maybe I just have the bad luck of being surrounded by n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Maybe I just have the bad luck of being surrounded by neighbours who are all streaming video or playing games online.

All your neighbours are watching TV, delivered by Shaw Cablesystems, and that does not affect the quality of your TV-watching, because coaxial cable has sufficient "bandwidth" to simultaneously service all the customers in your block/neighbourhood/city, delivering hundreds of audio/video channels.

Today, my test-result, through the HITRON cable-modem, on a quad-core 3.2 Ghz desktop computer, using a CAT-5e Ethernet cable, matches my expectation for "Shaw Internet 300", namely a peak of 315 Mbit/second download, with 15 Mbit/second uploads.  Using a slower computer, and/or a CAT-5 cable, will give you lower results.

I push the reset button on the modem and it will run at 3...

Donmul
Grasshopper

I push the reset button on the modem and it will run at 330 for a while until it does a software update and then right back down to 90. I’ve heard thru the grapevine that they are sharing our modems with the public and You have to contact Shaw to have them shut it off?!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help