Jump to solution

Terrible performance with Hitron CGNM-2250 and Internet 300

abdba
Grasshopper

Old configuration:

• Had an old Internet 25 package and I'm not sure what type of Shaw Modem.
  • Just using the modem as a modem with my own routers behind it (Asus and Netgear).
  • With old Shaw modem would consistently get 29Mbps down from a wide variety of devices and internet was pretty consistent/reliable.

Called and upgraded to Internet 300 and today the installer came and switched out my old modem for a Hitron CGNM-2250 and so far, am plagued with issues.

1. The "new to me" Hitron CGNM-2250 was very well used by previous owners with 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz wifi customized for someone else, port forwarding entries, etc, etc.  Can Shaw not at least reset these used routers before re-deploying to someone else?
  2. The installer knew only minimal information about the Hitron router and computers in general.  Again, I don't want to use any router or wifi or firewall functionality of the Shaw Hitron - I just want it to be a Shaw modem and I'll use my own routers for the rest.
  3. The installation of the new router kicked out my Gateway for some reason but they fixed that.
  4. Most significantly I have performance issues with the new Hitron CGNM-2250.

The performance issues can be summarized like this:

• When the installer connects just his iPad to the Hitron 5GHz he would get at times close to 300Mbps down.  I think he was using the Ookla app but I'm not sure.
  • Connecting my own MacBook to the 5GHz and I would get 200Mbps - 250Mbps down testing with speedtest.shaw.ca .
  • As soon as I plugged in my home router to one of the Hitron ethernet ports, the MacBook's performance (still connected to the Hitron 5GHz) drops to 40 Mbps - 100 Mbps.  No change to the Mac - it's still on the same wifi, the only difference is my router is now hard wired into the Hitron - the Mac isn't yet connecting to it but the speed has dropped to about 1/3.
  • Similarly connecting to my own router (hardwired or wifi) or having the router measure itself gets at best 100Mbps.
  • So on its own it does get somewhat close to the 300Mbps but not quite.  Sometimes just in the 150-200Mbps range but usually at least 150Mbps.  As soon as my own router is attached, I lose 2/3 of that and it goes well below 100Mbps.  So what gives?

Sure, under this configuration I have my own router behind the Shaw Hitron router but still that should work (without going into AP mode) and shouldn't cause me to lose 66%-80% of my bandwidth (from devices connected directly to the Hitron).  And shouldn't the installer have some clue about this?

I've tried to reset as many of the settings as I can find in the CGNM-2250.   But if I change the router's port to IP Passthrough (IP Passthrough for Hitron CGNM-2250 ) which is what I want (I want the Shaw Hitron to only be a modem and not a router or firewall), my own Netgear router can no longer get an external IP!  It can't get an IP.  Same with a test hardwired computer on another IP Passthrough port.  Waiting for Shaw support to see if they've reduced the number of external IPs I have and maybe the Hitron has taken the only one.  Again, shouldn't the installer have suggested IP Passthrough and tested my number of external IPs?

Question is what else can I do to optimize the performance of this Hitron CGNM-2250?  Because so far I'm not impressed?  Paid to get 10x the download and really I'm getting about 1x-4x at most.

Considering it came pre-polluted with the previous owner's junk, can I do the pin reset on the back and still connect to it (to re-setup the passthrough) using the wifi details on the white label?  If I set all four ports to pass-through and disable wifi completely, then the only way to get back into the Hitron interface will be to do a factory reset again (to turn the wifi back on) - correct?

I don't know what else...... arrrgggg ..... any suggestions appreciated.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Terrible performance with Hitron CGNM-2250 and Internet 300

Not applicable

You can ask Shaw to put the Hitron in bridge-mode.  This will turn off all the Gateway functions, making it a modem-only-modem, also allowing you to use two external IPs.

The pin-hole reset for 20-30 seconds is exactly where I would start...

The only other thing that comes to mind is WiFi interference.  They *should* work ok together when one is idle, but if the WiFi signals are on the same channel, this will have an impact.  It is also possible that either router's (yours or the Hitron) have something 'wrong' internally and are putting out unnecessary WiFi interference.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Jump to solution

abdba
Grasshopper

Update: called and got a 2nd external IP address. First was told that I couldn't have a second one and I had to "escalate".

This morning I had two that I could use with my own two routers.  Now I have two but the Hitron takes one of the two.  So I've lost capabilities there.  But the support person reset on his end and also advised me to do the pin reset which I did.  Then enabled IP Passthrough.  But things got worse.  Now I usually get between 10Mbps and 22Mbps with my router attached.

So this morning I had: Internet 25; 29 Mbps consistently; two usable external IPs

This evening I have: Internet 300; 10-20 Mbps down; one usable external IP

This is terrible.  Is the situation really that Internet 300 and the Hitron CGNM-2250 is completely incompatible with using your own router?

Jump to solution

Not applicable

You can ask Shaw to put the Hitron in bridge-mode.  This will turn off all the Gateway functions, making it a modem-only-modem, also allowing you to use two external IPs.

The pin-hole reset for 20-30 seconds is exactly where I would start...

The only other thing that comes to mind is WiFi interference.  They *should* work ok together when one is idle, but if the WiFi signals are on the same channel, this will have an impact.  It is also possible that either router's (yours or the Hitron) have something 'wrong' internally and are putting out unnecessary WiFi interference.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

abdba
Grasshopper

Thank you kevinds‌ - that actually did help.

First though I disabled the Hitron firewall and rebooted - that helped for my downstream router but not when directly connected to the Hitron.  It still topped at about 120Mbps.  After calling them and putting it in bridge mode as per kevinds‌ suggestion, I am actually getting the 300!!!!  Although I still don't see why daisy chained routers caused such an issue here.

So it's "fixed" now though I haven't tested the 2nd external IP yet - will tomorrow.

Although I'm still really really really disappointed with Shaw as:

1. Shouldn't the installer see that the modem he's taking out is in bridged mode and hence put the new into bridged mode similarly? Or at least ask!
  2. When the internet speed is in the toilet after installing the new modem, shouldn't the installer at least have a basic clue of what to do?  Rather than just saying "it's your issue".
  3. When phoning tech support shouldn't they suggest the same?  Nobody at Shaw internet support/help could suggest this or help with speed problems in any way.
  4. Tech support told me initially that I couldn't have two external IPs yet the Shaw docs (as I linked to in the original post) says I could.  And I had at the beginning of today before the installer visit.  It wasn't until I quoted them their own doc that I got the 2nd external IP added since even after "checking with colleagues" I was told that the colleagues confirmed that only 1 external IP is allowed - ridiculous.
  5. Hold time on the phones .... even with the call back option.

So we could say that "all's well that ends well" but this took hours and hours and hours of my time and the whole experience was completely ridiculous and if I hadn't had the smarts to disable things in the router or get kevinds‌ suggestion because I knew to post here, I'd end up with half the internet speed at the end of the day compared to the beginning of the day and after supposedly signing up for a 12x increase.

If anyone here actually works for Shaw and cares enough, DM me to get more specific details.  Because as a Shaw internet customer from I'm guessing 1996 I'v never had such a bad experience or poor support ever.

Thanks again kevinds

Jump to solution

Not applicable

Shaw used to be great..  Then they started getting rid of the good employees and wanting calls as short as possible.

Last 10 years or so Shaw has only gone downhill..

Internet installer have a clue..  lol  Years ago I was supervising an internet install for a client and specifically told the installer not to put run the Shaw software on the computer.  Don't want any of the changes that it made.  Even showed the Shaw tech that the internet was working..  But he didn't believe me..  I started cleaning up stuff like the twist-ties from the packaging and he put the CD in and ran it..  He told me he 'had to' because he didn't know the internet was working until he ran the CD..  I was furious but what did Shaw care..

Canadian Criminal Code 342.1 came to mind but that didn't go anywhere...

Had to wipe and reinstall Windows..

Rant over...

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not applicable

abdba wrote:

1. When the internet speed is in the toilet after installing the new modem, shouldn't the installer at least have a basic clue of what to do?  Rather than just saying "it's your issue".
  2. When phoning tech support shouldn't they suggest the same?  Nobody at Shaw internet support/help could suggest this or help with speed problems in any way.

They really believe it is your issue, "Shaw can't possibly be at fault", so why put the time and effort into troubleshooting an issue they won't be able to fix.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

rickatk
Master

The first thing that comes to mind...for 300 Mbps service I think you should have been given the Arris XB6.

The only reason to bridge would be to get better wifi throughput using your own wifi router. The Shaw cable modem/wifi routers still need some work on the wifi side. I have my Arris modem bridged and I let an Apple Aiport Extreme do the heavy wifi lifting around the house. Works perfectly.

You should have NEVER been given a modem that other users settings still in place, very strange.

I am surprised a CD was used to install software. These modems are best accessed by way of a web page. All the settings, including turning bridging on and off are done via the web page. https://community.shaw.ca/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2F192.168.0.1%2F 

You should expect nothing but the best of service and performance from Shaw. If you were unhappy with the installer, modem, overall service get in touch with Shaw managment. Shaw will make it right.

I have been with Shaw for decades and enjoying internet speed bumps without issue. Currently running at 600 Mbps plus - Nice!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have similar 1/2 bandwidth problem with home router des...

csyvenky
Grasshopper

I have similar 1/2 bandwidth problem with home router described here. I've had to replace my modem twice in < 30 days (hard reboots itself). Yesterday I was given the CGNM-2250 model on Internet 75.

Before doing much more with bridge-mode, I thought I'd at least try the Firewall and Wi-Fi settings, by disabling them both - there is no improvement in speed (wired, 2.4G, or 5G).

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

is your PC network card and 3rd party router gigabit enab...

shaw-tony

@csyvenky is your PC network card and 3rd party router gigabit enabled along with CAT-5e+ ethernet connections? Are you noticing slow speeds when you bypass the router and connect directly the the modem only?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

AVoid XB6

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Avoid the XB6. It's not as stable as the Hitron and lacks customization except manual bridge mode. You are also limited to only two ethernet ports as well.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help