Jump to solution

Hi   Not everything is gig ethernet, no. But I’ve been a...

csyvenky
Grasshopper

Hi @shaw-tony 

Not everything is gig ethernet, no. But I’ve been a customer for a long time and have seen 70-75Mbit down many many times via my router.

Yes the speeds were half speed when using both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi directly on the Shaw modem (on all of the original, the defective replacement and the second replacement).

Its all been resolved simply by adding 2nd IP address and disabling all WiFi from the Shaw gear. I never even set it to bypass mode either. First I disabled all Shaw WiFi, no improvement. Then I called Tech Support for second IP.  Prior to setting up IP pass thru I tested with speeds that I would normally expect - been good for days. Just hit 80 down as I typed this.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

ah, if you are using a 3rd party router with no secondary...

shaw-tony

@csyvenky ah, if you are using a 3rd party router with no secondary IP (for IP passthrough) or if the modem is not bridged then it may affect your speeds. The Hitron in normal mode act as a router, adding a second router would cause an IP mismatch. Glad to hear that the IP passthrough is working for you!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This modem is included in a class action lawsuit for its....

bakermensch
Grasshopper
This modem is included in a class action lawsuit for its...

bakermensch
Grasshopper

This modem is included in a class action lawsuit for its poor performance. See here: https://www.classactionlawyers.com/puma6

Additionally experience with my own and running the PUMA 6 test reveals the following: https://imgur.com/A9plvdE

More resources for defects below. Why Shaw continues to supply this modem is beyond me. 

https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/

Same modem: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Hitron-Modem-keeps-dropping-internet/td-p/387328

https://www.approvedmodems.com/do-not-buy-list.html

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

My setup, and experience: Hitron CGNM-2250, not "bridged...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

My setup, and experience:

• Hitron CGNM-2250, not "bridged"
  • Shaw Internet 300 (advertised as 300 mbps download, and 15 mbps upload)
  • Shaw-supplied 3-way splitter inside the demarcation box outside my house - no other splitters anywhere
  • Coaxial-cable (shorter than 2 meters) between the wall-outlet and the Hitron
  • CAT-5e Ethernet cable between the Hitron and my desktop computer on port #1
  • 3.2 Ghz dual-core Intel i5 processor inside my desktop computer, with 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapter
  • On that desktop, running Shaw SpeedTest reports over 300 mbps download, and over 15 mbps upload
  • Very occasionally, a Cisco router gets connected on port #2 (configured with 192.168.123.1 as its "gateway", and handing-out 192.168.123.101 to 192.168.123.250 "private" IP-addresses)
  • Not experiencing any "IP-conflict" between the Shaw router and my Cisco router, because "192.168.0.xxx" and "192.168.123.yyy" are separate ranges of "private" IP-addresses
  • My older iPad connects, via WiFi to either the Hitron or to the Cisco routers, with no problems
  • On an older Lenovo notebook computer (dual-core, 1.6 Ghz), the Shaw SpeedTest over Ethernet (connected to either router), I get much-slower download speeds, because that SpeedTest needs a faster processor than the Lenovo supplies
  • Upload speed still is 15 mbps
  • Similarly, SpeedTest reports slower download speeds on the Lenovo notebook, because its wireless network adapter uses the slower/older "N" protocol, not the newer/faster "AC" protocol -- both the processor and the network adapter create "bottlenecks"
  • No-cost "second IP address" added by Shaw, today, in only 10 minutes of online-chat, by my request
  • I have another computer (3.2 Ghz, dual-core) with only a 10/100 Ethernet adapter, with a long CAT-5e Ethernet cable. It tests as 100% processor usage while Shaw SpeedTest is running, and download speed is only about 75 mbps. Long cable, or non-Gigabit network adapter creating a bottleneck?

So, I am getting the performance and service that I am paying for, with no noticeable packet-loss.

Your Mileage May Vary

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I signed up for Internet 300 just under a year ago and ha...

Birdsnests
Grasshopper

I signed up for Internet 300 just under a year ago and had the Hitron modem sent to me.  Started having trouble several months later, with highly variable internet speeds and frequent disconnection.  I had a technician out to check the signal.  He checked it, gave some suggestions on my in house setup, left.  Problem continued.  Zoom and MS Teams calls dropping frequently (only me, not the other attendees), realizing it's my own connection cutting out. Three technician visits and one Hitron modem replacement later, I'm still having these connection variability issues.  When I looked up the modem, I found a lot of sites recommending against it, including Shaw customers.  So now I'm trying to figure out whether to buy my own router to use in bridge mode with the Hitron or just forget Shaw and move on.  After being a customer for 10+ years, this is pretty frustrating.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help