Jump to solution

Three way splitter setup - will this work

harju
Grasshopper

Currently I have all Shaw Home services (300 + TV +phone).   I want to connect my internet modem, a TV and phone modem from one coaxial outlet with a three way splitter.   I will also have another TV with a wired connection to a coaxial outlet in another room.

Will this work or will I have a degradation in services?  

In addition, is it better to use a balanced or unbalanced splitter.  I thought to use an unbalanced with the higher no. connections to the internet and TV.  I do not know if this makes sense or has any validity behind it.  Just a thought.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Which cable boxes do you have? I assume the cable comes i...

rstra
Grand Master

Which cable boxes do you have?

I assume the cable comes in to the house and is split with one line going to the room with the three devices and another line going to the other room with just the TV. Yes, you can use a three way splitter, balanced or unbalanced. The amount of signal loss also depends on the splitter on the line coming in to your house. For example, if you had a two way splitter, each leg would lose 3.5db and then you would lose another 3.5 or 7db on the 3way splitter. But your devices should be fine with that amount of loss. Make sure you get a splitter from Shaw or high quality 5 MHz to 1 GHz.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Jump to solution

Which cable boxes do you have? I assume the cable comes i...

rstra
Grand Master

Which cable boxes do you have?

I assume the cable comes in to the house and is split with one line going to the room with the three devices and another line going to the other room with just the TV. Yes, you can use a three way splitter, balanced or unbalanced. The amount of signal loss also depends on the splitter on the line coming in to your house. For example, if you had a two way splitter, each leg would lose 3.5db and then you would lose another 3.5 or 7db on the 3way splitter. But your devices should be fine with that amount of loss. Make sure you get a splitter from Shaw or high quality 5 MHz to 1 GHz.

Jump to solution

Thanks,  I will have two XG1v4.  I am trading in my Xi6s...

harju
Grasshopper

Thanks,  I will have two XG1v4.  I am trading in my Xi6s as I want go back to wired TV and a bridge my Shaw modem.  Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Is there a reason for two XG1v4 boxes (more storage and t...

rstra
Grand Master

@harju Is there a reason for two XG1v4 boxes (more storage and tuners), or could you just use one XG1v4 and an Xid? Anyway, with that configuration, you will need to add moca filters.

Jump to solution

The reason is two TV on which 4K is watched.  Thanks

harju
Grasshopper

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Oh ya, good point.

rstra
Grand Master

Oh ya, good point.

Jump to solution

Sorry to bother you again but I have been reading up on M...

harju
Grasshopper

Sorry to bother you again but I have been reading up on MOCA filters.  From what I gather I would put these at the POE to the TV boxes or at the POE of the cable into the house.  Does this sound correct?   Lots of confusing information out there on placement.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The best setup is to isolate the two BlueCurve boxes to o...

rstra
Grand Master

The best setup is to isolate the two BlueCurve boxes to one splitter and place a filter on the input of that splitter. But, I don’t think this is an option in your case, so, at the very least, place a filter on the line coming in to the house going to the first splitter. This will prevent the moca signal from going out on to the street. I don’t think the signal will interfere with your phone modem, but, if it does, just install a filter on the back of that terminal. 

Jump to solution

I suggest you stick with the Blue Curve (wired or wireles...

rickatk
Master

@harju wrote:

I suggest you stick with the Blue Curve (wired or wireless) setup at this point. Whether you have 4K or not. Blue Curve (Comcast X1) is the future of Internet and TV for Shaw. The convenience of wireless TV and cloud PVR outweighs 4K availability which is, by the way,  coming down the pipe. The BlueCurve platform is where Shaw is putting it’s energy and resources going forward. 

Jump to solution

-- a Shaw technician told me that the Shaw Phone adapter...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@harju -- a Shaw technician told me that the Shaw Phone adapter requires a lesser amount of signal than their cable-modem and TV boxes.

So, if you have a 3-way splitter labelled "3.5, 3.5, 7 decibels", connect the Phone adapter to the "7".

TALK TO US
We're here to help