Jump to solution

Upgrading Internet

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Hi, I've received 2 Shaw emails over the past month saying, "We'd like to upgrade your internet.  Let us help you unlock 10X faster speed.  You're eligible for up to 10X faster internet and a hardware upgrade.  Call us today."

Do I HAVE to do this?  The thing IS...I'm absolutely great with my present internet service and I don't use my computer often.  I'm deaf so am not able to phone you about this.  Could someone please get back to me on this discussion forum?  

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- A HUGE thanks You are welcome. With your near-new comp...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@merrymermaid -- A HUGE thanks

You are welcome.

With your near-new computer, and your current Internet speed, your needs & wants are satisfied.

Hint: below each reply on this thread, there is a "thumbs-up" icon. Click each one, for each reply that has helped you.

Also, in the top-right corner of your original posting, there is a button to click, to open a "pull-down". Doing so shows an "accept as solution", to click when you are completely satisfied with the responses.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jump to solution

No: you don't have to upgrade your internet plan. You can...

rickatk
Master

@merrymermaid No: you don't have to upgrade your internet plan. You can also unsubscribe from Shaw’s marketing if you wish.

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for getting back to me so fast, Rick.  I'm...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks so much for getting back to me so fast, Rick.  I'm relieved that I don't have to upgrade my internet plan because there's no point where I'm totally satisfied with it.  I won't bother right now with unsubscribing from Shaw's marketing but thanks for letting me know that's an option.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Let us help you unlock 10X faster speed I am guessing...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@merrymermaid -- Let us help you unlock 10X faster speed

I am guessing that you currently have a "grandfathered" service plan, maybe "Internet 100", and that Shaw is offering their 1000 Mbps service, with a newer cable-modem, probably for a higher monthly price.

Even though you cannot telephone them, you can use their "chat" system:  www.shaw.ca/chat   to type into a window on your computer-screen, and get responses. Be sure to mention your deafness, so that they do not tell you to telephone them.

Your current download speed is fine, especially if you occasionally leave your computer on for a few hours, so that all the "background" updates (anti-virus, Windows Update, Apple updates, Adobe updates) can be done when you are not actively using your computer.

With your current upload speed, sending a "large" E-mail (with attachments, such as JPG or DOC or PDF) can sometimes feel to be slow. If that is not what you routinely do, you don't need to upgrade.

With your current download speed, viewing web-pages and Youtube and Facebook videos and streaming from TV stations' web-sites should be fine. Again, you don't need to upgrade.

With your current speed, and only one person at a time using the Internet, your speed is fine.

At your current speed, you obviously are not an "online gamer". So, while a "gamer" would need to upgrade, you do not need to upgrade.

Finally, consider the age of your computer. Even if it does receive at 1000 Mbps, it may be slow to process that "flood" of incoming data. Right now, you probably have "balance" -- the right computer speed for your current Internet speed.

Contact Shaw, and see exactly what they are offering, at what price. It can't hurt, if you have the time to "chat" (online) with them.

Jump to solution

WOW, mdk, I sure appreciate all your fantastic, easy-to-u...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

WOW, mdk, I sure appreciate all your fantastic, easy-to-understand, information.  I've used Shaw chat before with good results but don't need to in this instance thanks to all your excellent info.

Yes, even though I don't use my computer a lot, I DO leave it on for several hours and always get the updates, etc.  And my emails always go through fast and I seldom have attachments with them.  

I seldom use YouTube but when I do, it's fast too.  I'm not on Facebook nor on any social media and I don't do any streaming, just call me a simple-minded gal 😉

I'm not an online gamer and I just bought my computer brand new a year and a-half ago.  

A HUGE thanks, mdk, for taking the time to be so thorough with your great feedback.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- A HUGE thanks You are welcome. With your near-new comp...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@merrymermaid -- A HUGE thanks

You are welcome.

With your near-new computer, and your current Internet speed, your needs & wants are satisfied.

Hint: below each reply on this thread, there is a "thumbs-up" icon. Click each one, for each reply that has helped you.

Also, in the top-right corner of your original posting, there is a button to click, to open a "pull-down". Doing so shows an "accept as solution", to click when you are completely satisfied with the responses.

Jump to solution

Thanks so much again, mdk.  I'll do that and click thumbs...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks so much again, mdk.  I'll do that and click thumbs-up and also click accept as solution, thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Have a smooth sailing week.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help