Upgrading modem only showing 5G on some devices.

alayri
Grasshopper

Had tech support walk me through installation. Everything was working fine. Tried a few websites as requested by tech. No issues, although I was sitting directly beside modem when I tried them.

My son was downstairs with me during installation, and followed the same prompts given by the tech. We both logged on to the 2.4 at the same time. My daughter DID NOT. She was upstairs, all her devices disconnected while awaiting network upgrade. 

Hang up from tech, go upstairs. Nothing works. No wifi. Son informs me his is doing the same.

Call tech support. Tech support enables us to sign into our 5G, prompts us to do so. Does something on his end, then says log back in to 2.4.

All good, problem solved. 

Attempt to sign my daughter in to new wifi network. The 2.4 is not visible on her list. Only option is 5G - but when connected to 5G it doesn’t work unless close to modem.

Take her phone downstairs to modem, and 2.4 then shows up on her list of available networks. Connect and try it, it works. Walk away, it drops. Tried this a dozen or so times. Same thing every time. Exactly what was happening to my son and I initially, worked fine in immediate scope of modem, but not once walked away. Tech support doesn't really have an answer. 

I’m at a loss.  

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Either the programmable signal-strength of the WiFi trans...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Either the programmable signal-strength of the WiFi transmitter has been turned down, or you have a "dud" of a modem.

If the latter, contact Shaw, and get it replaced.

TALK TO US
We're here to help