the bluecurve modem is garbage, suggesting anyone return...

talios
Grasshopper

the bluecurve modem is garbage, suggesting anyone return it to "normal" from bridge mode is just not cool =/

0 Kudos

-- suggesting anyone return it to "normal" from bridge mo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@talios -- suggesting anyone return it to "normal" from bridge mode is just not cool =/

If setting the BlueCurve to "normal" mode enables the original author of this thread to use their Shaw wireless TV receiver, then set it to "normal" mode.

I really doubt that "changing DNS servers" will solve any problem.

It's an interesting question whether the WiFi "cloud" from the cable-modem is stronger/weaker than the WiFi "cloud" from any other router.

0 Kudos

-- Can I just run a cable from from Unifi router to the c...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ragtop -- Can I just run a cable from from Unifi router to the cable box ?

The Unifi router cannot be directly-connected to the coaxial-network in your home; it must be connected to your cable-modem, and that implies that an Ethernet cable must be used, whether the cable-modem is "bridged" or "not-bridged".

Shaw recommends that when you connect your own router to a cable-modem, that you "bridge" the modem, for maximum throughput through the two devices (Shaw's cable-modem and your router) to your devices. However, it is not an "absolute requirement".

0 Kudos

Okay, but what IS required?  I just got my BlueCurve mode...

SteveC16
Grasshopper

Okay, but what IS required? 

I just got my BlueCurve modem and I have to leave it in normal mode (not bridged) because I have the xi6 boxes for Shaw TV which HAVE to communicate via wifi to the BlueCurve. But I'd like to use my Netgear Nighthawk Router & Extender to increase wifi signal throughout our house, without having to rent the Shaw Pods at $10 per month. 

However, when I plugged in the Nighthawk router to the BlueCurve via ethernet cable, the Nighthawk does not provide any internet access... So what setting needs to change on the Nighthawk router?

0 Kudos

Can you set up your Netgear router as access point ?

ragtop
Grasshopper

Can you set up your Netgear router as access point ?

0 Kudos

I don't know... I'll check it out...

SteveC16
Grasshopper

I don't know... I'll check it out...

0 Kudos

I should say that I'm moving over from Telus where previo...

SteveC16
Grasshopper

I should say that I'm moving over from Telus where previously I believe the tech had wired up the Telus modem in a bridge mode type scenario where it was just passing on internet access to my Netgear Nighthawk router and extender which is what all our devices connected to for wifi...

0 Kudos

found it and that so far seems to be working pretty well....

SteveC16
Grasshopper

found it and that so far seems to be working pretty well... will update if it doesn't...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help