-- why the equipment fails to to its basic tasks.  That i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Bluecurvebites -- why the equipment fails to to its basic tasks. 

That is incorrect. 

When I upgraded from the Hitron (maximum download of 300 Mbps) to the XB7, it was simple to disconnect the cables & power from the Hitron, connect the cables & power to the XB7, and then restart each computer. Then, it was easy to change the SSID & password, to match those that I had configured into the Hitron, and then everything worked for me.

> why must I fiddle with settings to get a 2.4 device to work?

Because you have an older, less capable device that is incompatible with 5 Ghz wireless networks.  Replace the device, or follow the previously-given advice to have one SSID for 2.4 Ghz devices & one SSID for 5 Ghz devices.

Or, pay the cancellation fee to Shaw, to terminate your 2-year contract, and switch to TELUS, or one of the "resellers" who lease connectivity from Telus. Avoid the resellers that lease connectivity from Shaw, if you want to avoid the same issue.

0 Kudos

Maybe now that Rogers owns...

Bluecurvebites
Grasshopper

Maybe now that Rogers owns Shaw they will be get equipment that can tell the difference between 2.4 and 5.8. Lol. 

0 Kudos

, guess you didn't know, but Rogers has the exact same eq...

g-idk
Master

@Bluecurvebites , guess you didn't know, but Rogers has the exact same equipment (modems/tv boxes) as Shaw has.  Both Rogers and Shaw have signed lease agreements with Comcast Xfinity in the States to use all of their equipment and software, with some minor software changes for the Canadian use.  This has been this way for quite a few years now, ever since Shaw started with the bluecurve system and Rogers started with the Ignite system, both company's use Comcast.  That is one of the reasons the switch over for home consumers will not have to involve a whole bunch of equipment that Rogers would have to replace, no need to.  Just thought I'd let you know.  

Some of the Ignite branding is starting to show up on the...

rickatk
Master

Some of the Ignite branding is starting to show up on the App Store. Even though both companies were using the same hardware I imagine there is much work to  be done with the porting of services. I expect things will be a bit rough and tumble for the next few months. Interesting times.

Looking forward to Rogers dumping the terrible Shaw websi...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk  Looking forward to Rogers dumping the terrible Shaw website. 

0 Kudos

I am curious when we will be invited to the Rogers suppor...

rickatk
Master

I am curious when we will be invited to the Rogers support site and discussion form. Right now I notice they changed the buttons to Red.

I see the main site is updated as well, no new plans yet....

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk  I see the main site is updated as well, no new plans yet. Shaw blue is no more.

0 Kudos

So angry, I think. I've had Bluecurve modem since they st...

bdobson
Grasshopper

So angry, I think. I've had Bluecurve modem since they started with, well, none of the problems. Sure they take 10 or so minutes to reboot, who cares? How often are you rebooting the modem that this matters to you? 

Did you REALLY think they were going to port over the SSID? I cannot imagine this is part of the service you would get from ANY provider ANYWHERE. 

Seriously you need to chill out and realize that 99.9% of people using these devices have no interest in the things that you do and why should they cater to the 0.1% of customers?

0 Kudos

-- nice rant. If you keep the cable-modem, the SSID (save...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bdobson -- nice rant.

If you keep the cable-modem, the SSID (saved inside the cable-modem) will not change, until you explicitly change it.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the positive feedback! It was nice. I underst...

bdobson
Grasshopper

Thanks for the positive feedback! It was nice.

I understand that SSID stays in the modem, but I don't see how it's Shaw's responsibility to do that that's the owner's responsibility. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help