It does not work. I have to preregister the device I am t...

py8
Grasshopper

It does not work. I have to preregister the device I am trying to set up with ShawOpen in order to use its functionality.

-- it does not work That is not very descriptive, and the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@py8 -- it does not work

That is not very descriptive, and therefore it is difficult to offer any useful suggestion.

When your device is in the range of any ShawOpen access-point, be sure to enter your Shaw ID -- the one you use to logon to the My Shaw Portal, not any E-mail ID,  and the associated password.  What happens when you do? Success? Fail? Exactly what error-message do you get after the failure?

0 Kudos

I am also looking for the old mac address list method. It...

mikeeg556
Grasshopper

I am also looking for the old mac address list method. It appears the only way to do it now, on an Android device, is to perform a secure login to my account. So for my other household members, this means I need to hand out my account credentials? This does not seem "more secure". Do you recommend sticky notes for the password?

Alternatively, they could give me their phone passwords and I walk their phones to the nearest hotspot in the rain? This does not seem "easier".

I am sorry for being snarky, but someone made a bad decision here. Please correct me if I've missed something simple (I hope I did).

It's very clear that the device he wants to add doesn't h...

Me2434234
Grasshopper

It's very clear that the device he wants to add doesn't have a user interface so he can't enter any login details.

When we used to be able to pre-register a device by its MAC address, when that device connected to Shaw Open, it would be recognized and given internet access.  That is what he is asking to do.

Shaw should the-enable that option IMHO.

I'm sorry Shaw people and moderators but what do you not...

Geoff57
Grasshopper

I'm sorry Shaw people and moderators but what do you not understand?

My vehicle connects to wifi for updates. No access to browser

NOW how do I add the device??

All suggestions are NOT working. 

The last time I called tech support "they were going to put it up the chain"n whatever that is as it was well over a month now.

Please look at your answer and think this "I have no browser, how do I connect??"

As a administrator for multiple organizations I have to spend 1/2 hour talking some executive through to add his device. Try that with your CEO or Sales team they are soooo appreciative (sarcasm) .

Agreed. I manage IT with a small organization that has Sh...

OldMacGuy
Grasshopper

Agreed. I manage IT with a small organization that has Shaw as an Internet provider. I want to have Shaw WiFi on our deployed phones. I don't want to hand over the password to my Shaw ID that I use for administering the account to the other staff. I don't want the staff to have to create their own Shaw ID to authenticate, if that even works? Oh, and looks like you can only have 5 Shaw IDs on an account anyway.

Our existing devices are "grandfathered"-in via their WiFi MAC addresses, but going forward, it looks like it's just not going to be possible to set them up with Shaw Wifi in future.

Whoever designed this new system assumed:

- Users have a modern device with a web browser that can access their registration page. Rules out cameras (ie upload photos from digital camera to cloud), media devices like Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, etc., embedded devices like the car mentioned above.

- The primary user on the account is available to authenticate the device directly in person, can share the Shaw ID login, or can set them up with a Shaw ID (again, I'm still not certain if a secondary Shaw ID works).

It should have been implemented in parallel with WiFi-MAC based authentication, so that these problems could easily be avoided. I understand that the iPhone's private MAC address feature likely is one of the reasons that prompted the new system, so MAC can't be the only means of authenticating, but again, it wasn't necessary to kill off the old system as well.

First I have to say "F*** the guy who removed the mac add...

Heng
Grasshopper

First I have to say "F*** the guy who removed the mac address way to register a device."

Before I could register a device in seconds using mac address. Now I spent hours to register my Tesla to go wifi , but failed.  

--  looks like you can only have 5 Shaw IDs on an account...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@OldMacGuy --  looks like you can only have 5 Shaw IDs on an account 

I thought that the limit is TEN.

Do you have a device that can change its MAC-address? To the MAC-address of your automobile's WiFi adapter?

Register via that "spoofing" device.

0 Kudos

There is a limit of 10 registered Shaw Go WiFi devices on...

OldMacGuy
Grasshopper

There is a limit of 10 registered Shaw Go WiFi devices on the account.

You can have up to 5 Shaw IDs (usernames & passwords) on an account.

https://my.shaw.ca/profile/edit-profile to manage them.

I've confirmed that a subordinate Shaw ID can register a device for Shaw Go WiFi, so that's something. Addresses the problem of letting family/roommates/coworkers get their device connected without giving them the primary account password, or having to do it for them. As @Heng said above, it was much faster & easier just to register the wifi MAC directly.

A car with WiFi connectivity for software updates is a perfect example of a use-case where it would be great to have access to hotspots all over the country, but where it might be difficult or impossible to register the device through the existing online form process.

My car tesla model 3 can't find ShawOpen at a Shaw wifi s...

Heng
Grasshopper

My car tesla model 3 can't find ShawOpen at a Shaw wifi spot, without a wifi connection, I can't register the car using Shaw's new way. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help