wifi speeds vary

Racton
Grasshopper

I use a Windows 10 desktop with a new Asus wifi adapter running 892.11ac. The adapter shows high wifi rates running between 390 and 500 Mbps. But when I do a speed test, it often shows very low rates of 35 to 95 Mbps with nothing running except my browser. As such, my use of Zoom or similar tools is compromised.

Do you have an idea of what may be wrong and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Which modem and which internet plan do you have? Speeds o...

rstra
Grand Master

Which modem and which internet plan do you have? Speeds of 35-95 down should be fine for Zoom, a bigger issue would probably be your upload speeds.

-- I use a Windows 10 desktop with a new Asus wifi adapte...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Racton -- I use a Windows 10 desktop with a new Asus wifi adapter running 892.11ac.

You probably meant the 802.11 AC protocol.

Anyway, how fast is each processor inside your computer's CPU? The Shaw Speed Test requires at least 2.4 Ghz per processor, to run it at full-speed, to get the highest numbers.

> The adapter shows high WiFi rates running between 390 and 500 Mbps. But when I do a speed test, it often shows very low rates of 35 to 95 Mbps

Some of those "speed-test" sites are in the USA, which will reduce the measured values.

Do you have the BlueCurve cable-modem? It should be giving you up to 100 Mbps for "upload", and the contracted-for speed for download. The HITRON modem's upload speeds might be much less.

Try the following:

1. Start the Windows "Task Manager"
  2. Switch to its "Performance" tab
  3. Click on the icon for the active network-adapter (WiFi, not Ethernet, in your case)
  4. Minimize this window
  5. Launch the Shaw Speed Test and immediately "restore" the Task Manager window.

It should show the instantaneous speed, not the "smoothed" values that the Shaw Speed Test shows.

What do you see for "download" ? For "upload" ?

TALK TO US
We're here to help