Jump to solution

Windows 7 security and Hitron modem

victoria532
Grasshopper

Senior person here, using the internet a lot to stay connected.  My Windows 10 laptop died and is being fixed, so in the meantime I'm using a Windows 7 machine.  I know there's security risks with this OS (I have Avast, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware installed). Two questions.  . 

I can switch off wifi on the laptop when I'm not using it, but I was wondering if it would be more secure to unplug the Hitron modem?

How do I know if the Hitron modem has the latest updates?

Thank you in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

staying connected right now is more important than ever....

shaw-tony

@victoria532 staying connected right now is more important than ever. The Hitron modem automatically updates and everyone is on the most current firmware. The software and disabling WiFi on your laptop should be enough to protect you (watch out for phishing scams). Definitely, unplugging the Hitron modem would turn off all access to the Internet for the most security. However, I recommend leaving it on for updates.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

staying connected right now is more important than ever....

shaw-tony

@victoria532 staying connected right now is more important than ever. The Hitron modem automatically updates and everyone is on the most current firmware. The software and disabling WiFi on your laptop should be enough to protect you (watch out for phishing scams). Definitely, unplugging the Hitron modem would turn off all access to the Internet for the most security. However, I recommend leaving it on for updates.

Jump to solution

THANK YOU!  Really appreciate your quick and detailed res...

victoria532
Grasshopper

THANK YOU!  Really appreciate your quick and detailed response.

Jump to solution

glad to help! Stay safe and healthy

shaw-tony

@victoria532 glad to help! Stay safe and healthy 🙂

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help