Jump to solution

Yahoo may be blocking Shaw internet traffic

tmg2019
Grasshopper

I am attempting to connect to https://338canada.com/ I repeatedly get an error message from Yahoo:  "Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999. and    "This problem may be due to unusual network activity coming from your Internet Service Provider. We recommend that you report this problem to them." 

1.Yes, I have cleared cookies, caches and restarted three different browsers as well as restarting my MacBook. The issue persists. 2. I am able to connect on my mobile which has Rogers as ISP.

I cannot find a way to communicate this to Shaw.

Help?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- I cannot find a way to communicate this to Shaw. While...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tmg2019 -- I cannot find a way to communicate this to Shaw.

While reading this, scroll-down and click on your "Your Voice" hyperlink.

Or, the usual methods: www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222

> It came back briefly here, with image links broken, and has been up and down on Rogers Mobile. It is also broken when I use a VPN on my mac. I don't think the problem is local, in spite of the message on the error page.

A "traceroute" shows that the web-site is hosted by Yahoo.  Being "up-and-down" and not downloading images are symptoms that the web-site is just too popular, based on the level of service that the domain-owner has contracted with Yahoo to provide.

Yahoo may be interpreting "too popular" as the reception of too much traffic from Shaw customers.

Or, it could be a "packet-flood" by a bunch of "bot" computers, trying to create a "denial of service attack", to deliberately make the web-site unresponsive.

After the current Federal Election has been decided, traffic to that web-site is bound to greatly diminished.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thanks! It's back now. Started first w/o images. FWIW the...

tmg2019
Grasshopper

Thanks! It's back now. Started first w/o images.

FWIW the "chat" bot kept asking me to rephrase the question. In the past it eventually switched to a human. Perhaps I wasn't sufficiently persistent. And, in case the site itself is of interest to others, the same content is at https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jump to solution

Works for me on Shaw in BC.

rstra
Grand Master

Works for me on Shaw in BC.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks. If you don't mind the question - are you in the l...

tmg2019
Grasshopper

Thanks. If you don't mind the question - are you in the lower mainland?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am in the southern interior.

rstra
Grand Master

@tmg2019 I am in the southern interior.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks! It came back briefly here, with image links broke...

tmg2019
Grasshopper

Thanks! It came back briefly here, with image links broken, and has been up and down on Rogers Mobile. It is also broken when I use a VPN on my mac. I don't think the problem is local, in spite of the message on the error page.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I cannot find a way to communicate this to Shaw. While...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tmg2019 -- I cannot find a way to communicate this to Shaw.

While reading this, scroll-down and click on your "Your Voice" hyperlink.

Or, the usual methods: www.shaw.ca/chat or 1-888-472-2222

> It came back briefly here, with image links broken, and has been up and down on Rogers Mobile. It is also broken when I use a VPN on my mac. I don't think the problem is local, in spite of the message on the error page.

A "traceroute" shows that the web-site is hosted by Yahoo.  Being "up-and-down" and not downloading images are symptoms that the web-site is just too popular, based on the level of service that the domain-owner has contracted with Yahoo to provide.

Yahoo may be interpreting "too popular" as the reception of too much traffic from Shaw customers.

Or, it could be a "packet-flood" by a bunch of "bot" computers, trying to create a "denial of service attack", to deliberately make the web-site unresponsive.

After the current Federal Election has been decided, traffic to that web-site is bound to greatly diminished.

Jump to solution

Thanks! It's back now. Started first w/o images. FWIW the...

tmg2019
Grasshopper

Thanks! It's back now. Started first w/o images.

FWIW the "chat" bot kept asking me to rephrase the question. In the past it eventually switched to a human. Perhaps I wasn't sufficiently persistent. And, in case the site itself is of interest to others, the same content is at https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help