Many newer devices have a feature that will automatically connect to your cellular network if you have a poor WiFi connection. For example, if you're too far away from a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot to maintain a strong connection your device may automatically switch to cellular data to load a webpage.
For Apple devices with iOS 9.0 or later this feature is called Wi-Fi Assist, for Android devices it may be called Adaptive Wi-Fi.
To turn Wi-Fi Assist or Adaptive Wi-Fi on/off
- Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data.
- Scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist.
- Head into your Settings > Connections.
- Tap on Wi-Fi (make sure it's toggled on).
- Touch the vertical ellipses for more options.
- Tap on Advanced.
- Toggle on Switch to mobile data located under Intelligent Wi-Fi.
Did you know?
You can register Apple devices with iOS 8.0 or later for Shaw Go WiFi without having to be in a hotspot. Visit Get Started to get your device automatically connecting to hundreds of thousands of hotspots.