5G connectivity

cjmarlow
Grasshopper

I am a Shaw Mobile customer. Shaw doesn't appear to have a 5G network yet. If I upgrade my phone to one capably of using 5G networks (and remaining as a Shaw customer), will I be able to connect to 5G through other company 5G networks?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

-- short answer: YES. Note that Shaw Mobile also offers t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@cjmarlow -- short answer: YES.

Note that Shaw Mobile also offers the "Nationwide" cellular-network, which overlaps Shaw's service-areas, and is available in physical locations where there is no Shaw cellular-towers -- the towers in that location belong to Telus/Bell/Rogers. So, it seems possible that when your phone "roams" onto that "Nationwide" network, you might connect using "5G" protocol.

0 Kudos

Shaw will be testing out is 5G not completely compatible...

WingFung
Grasshopper

Shaw will be testing out is 5G not completely compatible with current 5G. In short 3 types of 5G. (1.Standalone ) (2.New Radio ) (3. MMwave ) CRTC will be license radio and 2024. Network launch 2QT 2025. mmwave Canada   2026 mmwave Europe. 2Gps start off speed. 

Standalone 5G is pre matured band. Network transmits 1 way services to phone. Phone sent LTE packets back Celluar Network Switch. 

4G LTE cat 20 is capable transmission 2Gbit/s  backhaul system majority is 4GLTE backbone. 

0 Kudos