Can only connect to Nationwide Network

Soso406
Grasshopper

I’m in BC lower mainland, I just moved my two mobile phones from Rogers to Shaw Mobile, one Is working fine but The other one cannot connect to Shaw network, it can only connect to Nationwide Networks but need to turn Roaming on which isn’t a big deal since there is no extra charges but kind of weird. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

19 Replies

-- what type of mobile phone do you have? If it is an iPh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Soso406 -- what type of mobile phone do you have?

If it is an iPhone, click Settings, click General, scroll-down to the bottom, click Reset.  Click Reset Network Settings.

If it is not an iPhone, then try to do the same "reset".

0 Kudos

It is an LG G6, today even when it showed the phone is co...

Soso406
Grasshopper

It is an LG G6, today even when it showed the phone is connected to Nationwide but still cannot make or receive calls. Incoming calls went direct to VM and out going calls cannot be made, will reset tonight and try again. 

0 Kudos

Reset network didn’t help, still only connects to Nationw...

Soso406
Grasshopper

Reset network didn’t help, still only connects to Nationwide with roaming. Forced to connect to Shaw but cannot make or receive calls

Just noticed that it turns off roaming by itself and as a...

Soso406
Grasshopper

Just noticed that it turns off roaming by itself and as a result disconnects from Nationwide Networks. Will this be a SIM card issue of something wrong with my number?

0 Kudos

-- Reset network didn’t help Text "SIM" -- in capital let...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Soso406 -- Reset network didn’t help

Text the 3 letters: SIM  -- in capital letters -- to 40001. That will update your SIM card, after you restart your mobile phone.

0 Kudos

Just did, will monitor. Thanks

Soso406
Grasshopper

Just did, will monitor. Thanks

0 Kudos

Didn’t help, if it stays connecting to Nationwide it will...

Soso406
Grasshopper

Didn’t help, if it stays connecting to Nationwide it will be OK, problem is it automatically changes carriers and when it changed to Shaw, I can’t make or receive calls. How can I make it stick to Nationwide?

0 Kudos

-- that "Nationwide" network is a contract between Shaw a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Soso406 -- How can I make it stick to Nationwide?

Probably not what you wanted to hear: take your cell-phone to a physical location where there is no nearby Shaw cell-phone tower, but where there is some other cell-phone coverage. Leechtown? Bella Coola?

That "Nationwide" network is a contract between Shaw and the others (Telus, Bell, Rogers) to provide "roaming" services when your phone cannot connect to Shaw's cell-phone towers.

This is a "user-to-user" discussion forum. At this point (no need to add "in time"), I recommend that you contact Shaw Support (currently, online chat is given priority over telephone) and get them to trouble-shoot. After all, you probably are paying Shaw over $100/month (including taxes) for your Internet connection -- make them "earn" your money. 🙂

0 Kudos

I recommend setting up the APN settings manually. Shaw Mo...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

I recommend setting up the APN settings manually.

Shaw Mobile APN Set-Up 

0 Kudos