Cannot Send Media Files Texting Over Wifi After Switching From Koodo To Shaw Mobile

Manteuffel
Grasshopper

After 7 support calls or visits in-store, and endlessly repeating the same troubleshooting steps with each CSR, I still have no fix while Shaw drains my Data when sending any MMS text. Same phone was able to send MMS via WIFI on the Koodo network for two years leading up to my switch to Shaw. On Shaw I cannot send any MMS texts on WIFI, only if Mobile Data is enabled will they send eating up my Data which is supposed to be free.

Before I get the hack line that Mobile Data must be enabled to send MMS, no, this is not the case. My girlfriend is on the same plan (separate account) and can send MMS over WIFI with zero issue, tested repeatedly even doing so in presence of in-store Manager.

Before you blame my phone, not only did this work on Koodo for the past two years, but is listed as fully compatible with your network according to the Shaw compatibility online tool. I had a 500MB plan with Koodo and never, never, got above 300MB/month; with Shaw I've burned through almost 2 GB in two months. 

Setup scripts run multiple times, swapped SIM, setup WiFi Calling, reset all Network & Bluetooth local settings, et al. Spent a good hour on phone today running through their scripted fixes to no avail; at least this guy escalated it. Spent another 50 minutes just trying to get info on my Internet & Mobile contracts (are they combined, separate, or is Mobile contractless?)

The grasp of English, spelling, grammar, punctuation, in 5 out of 7 cases was appallingly poor, not to mention having to repeat myself multiple times, as your CSR's do not seem to read to the point of comprehension. 

If this isn't resolved I'll be taking my business elsewhere and demand my monies to be refunded, including the penalty incurred for terminating my Koodo contract early. Very frustrated!

0 Kudos
4 Replies

-- is your smart-phone configured to use "data", over you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Manteuffel -- is your smart-phone configured to use "data", over your cellular connection, to send text & pictures & files?

If your smart-phone is an iPhone, then using the iMessage protocol also uses "data" to send to Apple's iMessage server,

Or, is your smart-phone configured to send "text-messages" (either over WiFi, or over your cellular connection, but without using "data") ?

Your question has similar postings within this discussion forum. Use the forum's "search" function to try to find those threads.

0 Kudos

Android, not iPhone, and yes it is setup to send over WiF...

Manteuffel
Grasshopper

Android, not iPhone, and yes it is setup to send over WiFi, just as it was with Koodo.

If similar cell issues have been reported in this forum with solutions, why is Shaw Support so feckless & hapless? So far, Shaw Mobile has been terrible for me. Still waiting for their escalation to tech to contact me. Additionally, it's a problem specifically with my phone and their network setup so it's dependent upon them to find a solution, not me, particularly when Shaw's online compatibility tool gave me the all clear, fully supported device. After all, what am I paying for- no support, DYI? 

Just used up my last 500 MB, now have to shell out another $10 for my 3rd GB of data, shall be requesting $30 refund if they manage to fix this.

0 Kudos

Called two more times since posting above. Each call was...

Manteuffel
Grasshopper

Called two more times since posting above. Each call was another 1 hour plus of troubleshooting the same old steps, only to have each CSR state to me my initial problem as they seem incapable of reading a help desk ticket. 

Escalation is useless as 2nd level doesn't call clients.

Shaw's team simply waits for me to call, troubleshooting the same old steps, only to verify to me what my initial complaint is. If 2nd level looks at it, tries anything, wants me to try something, I certainly don't hear about it.

Last CSR, Deena, was more rude than previous CSRs, and only solution was to have me enable Calls Over WiFi which requires Location Services to be Enabled which I reported a no-go due to work (not permitted in our offsite emergency Data Centre). When enabled, it was hit or miss, working approx. 70% of the time. Additionally, Deena stated sending MMS over Data would not lower my paid for Data allotment. Whatever was recorded as used Data on my device would always be incorrect, she said. Basically, "Trust Us", and if you've been a Shaw customer for any length time you'll know you must watch them carefully as "Our system charged that fee, it was automatic but I can remove it for you". It happens frequently, I worked for Shaw at one point. So no, I will not trust Shaw on what uses my Data and what does not as my usage is minimal yet Data disappears at a crazy rate.

May try one last call to a CSR to confirm my problem again, but that's it then I'm out. Literal hours wasted on something which was never an issue on Koodo.

0 Kudos

This forum is useless too. The resident shill replies to...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

This forum is useless too. The resident shill replies to every post with comments that may or not be relevant or complete. I suggest you lodge a complaint with the CCTS regarding your issue. It's the only way to get someone to reach out to you who's not completely inept. 

0 Kudos