Losing data connection constantly

palosanto
Grasshopper

I cannot get data connection when I'm not on wifi.
When I leave the house and I have no wifi,  I cannot access the internet even though I'm paying for data.
Restarting the phone sometimes works but not always.  I've tried also to send a text to 41111 "Setup" and to 40001 with "Sim"  and it has worked occasionally.  
This is very frustrating and I'm thinking in going back to my previous provider.
What is the solution? 

4 Replies

Hello     One thing to double check is that you are still...

shaw-don

Hello @palosanto 

One thing to double check is that you are still within the Shaw Mobile coverage and not in Nationwide. If you are in Nationwide and don't have any data left, that could be part of the issue. I would recommend getting in touch with our Mobile support https://www.shaw.ca/contact-us and have them look into it for you. 

0 Kudos

I have lots of data left. Network Operators setting was i...

palosanto
Grasshopper

I have lots of data left.
Network Operators setting was in "Select automatically" and it was connected to Nationwide despite Shaw being available and the phone being supposed to choose the closest one.
I put it now to manual and chose Shaw and data works now.  However if I leave it in manual  next time that I move around the city and loses connection with Shaw it won't be able to switch to Nationwide and I'll have no data at all.
I already talked to Shaw Mobile and the support person thinks that perhaps the phone remembers the last connection (Nationwide) and it doesn't switch when it should.  He suggested a network complete reset.
I'll switch back to Automatic selection and see how it works tomorrow.

0 Kudos

-- phone being supposed to choose the closest one Which m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@palosanto -- phone being supposed to choose the closest one

Which model of phone from which manufacturer?

It's probably the "stronger" signal, not necessarily the "closest" signal.

I have noticed that when I leave the area of coverage provided by the Shaw cell-phone towers, it takes my iPhone a few minutes to find the "Nationwide" network. If I set my phone to "manual", it also takes a few minutes to show that the "Nationwide" network is an available network.

0 Kudos

I have a Samsung Galaxy A70. Today I did a Network Reset....

palosanto
Grasshopper

I have a Samsung Galaxy A70.

Today I did a Network Reset.
Then I went out with automatic network selection and I had no data at all.  
Then I switched to 'manual' and after a few seconds a list of networks appeared including Shaw which nearest tower is about 2km away, and 4 or 5 'Natinwide' because I have Telus, Rogers and Bell all over the place and much closer. 
I chose Shaw and I had data connection although weak oscillating between 4G and 3G but at least I had data.
AS soon as I switched back to 'Automatic'  had no data at all even after waiting a few minutes and having lots of other towers around me.
The listing of 3 or 4 'Nationwide' operators when in manual selection doesn't help much because I don't know which one to choose.  I should say Telus or Bell or whatever so at least I can identify what towers are nearby.
I think that something prevents the phone from connecting to Nationwide when in Automatic.  It's hard to pinpoint because it doesn't happen all the time but definitely too often.

map.jpg
So I left it in Manual with Shaw for now.
Any ideas?

0 Kudos