LTE internet speeds

jeffingram
Grasshopper

So I'm in an area that is supposed to be within coverage of the Shaw network.
I am getting between 2 and 4 bars of coverage.
When I run a speedtest, I am only getting 1-3Mb/s of download bandwidth. The phone says it is on LTE.
Is there something I should be doing or setting so that I can actually access the internet?
1Mb/s is pretty slow to try and do much on a cellphone, and I am trying to hotspot to a computer which makes it even worse.

9 Replies

-- if you connect your cell-phone, via WiFi, to your cabl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jeffingram -- if you connect your cell-phone, via WiFi, to your cable-modem, and run the Shaw Speed Test, what are the results when NOT using LTE?

0 Kudos

450Mbs.... If I connect in city centre I can get 50-60Mbs...

jeffingram
Grasshopper

450Mbs....
If I connect in city centre I can get 50-60Mbs.
It's just weird that the signal strength is OK in this certain location, It shoes as LTE, but the bandwidth just sucks so bad it is almost dialup at best.

0 Kudos

-- If I connect in city centre I can get 50-60Mbs. Is tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jeffingram -- If I connect in city centre I can get 50-60Mbs.

Is that when you are connected to a ShawOpen or ShawGo WiFi access-point, or when using your quota of "data" over LTE cellular?

If connected to ShawOpen or ShawGo, turn off "data" on your device, to become a "pure" WiFi connection. What speed do you get?

> It's just weird that the signal strength is OK in this certain location, It shoes as LTE, but the bandwidth just sucks so bad it is almost dialup at best. 

What speed do you think that ShawOpen / ShawGo are provisioned to provide?  Probably, not 150 Mbps ("Wireless N"), but something closer to 25 to 50 Mbps.

0 Kudos

I do not have any problems with WiFi connections. This is...

jeffingram
Grasshopper

I do not have any problems with WiFi connections. This is a cellular network issue. This is NOT a WIFI question.
When I am strictly on LTE, in major urban centre, I get 50-60Mbs download speeds.
On LTE (Not WiFi) at one location in a smaller city, with 2-3 bars of service, I am only getting 1-2Mbs download speed.
It does fluctuate at this location from H+ to LTE as well for some reason. There is NO WIFI at this location.
Now if SHAW would like to install a hotspot at this location, I would be happy to supply them with a building to run it from.. 😉 

0 Kudos

Which phone are you using?

rstra
Grand Master

@jeffingram Which phone are you using?

0 Kudos

Pixel 5. Bought from Shaw

jeffingram
Grasshopper

Pixel 5. Bought from Shaw

0 Kudos

-- if SHAW would like to install a hotspot at this locati...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jeffingram -- if SHAW would like to install a hotspot at this location, I would be happy to supply them with a building to run it from

That is perfectly reasonable. However, this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a path to Shaw Support.

Either contact Shaw (1-888-472-2222) or use the "Your Voice" hyperlink near the bottom of this web-page. They probably will route you to "Shaw Business".

0 Kudos

That does support band 66, my iPhone 7 doesn’t, so I have...

rstra
Grand Master

@jeffingram That does support band 66, my iPhone 7 doesn’t, so I have range issues. Unfortunately, you must be just in a bad area for reception.

0 Kudos

Yes, this is within the extended range LTE (Band66) area.

jeffingram
Grasshopper

Yes, this is within the extended range LTE (Band66) area.

0 Kudos