No cell phone signal

Max66
Grasshopper

I live in City of Vancouver which according to Shaw cell signal map I should be well covered. But, I hardly get any signal at all. Only one side of my home get weak and unstable signal. No signal in the basement at all.

We have cell phones that use Rogers network. These phones get stable signal throughout the house including the basement.

Is there anything that I can do to boost my Shaw cell signal? Or does it help if I discuss the situation with Shaw technical department? 

Thank you for your kind advise.

21 Replies

Enable wifi calling on your phone (assuming your phone su...

Spatch
Grasshopper

@Max66 

Enable wifi calling on your phone (assuming your phone supports this function).  That should solve the problem of poor signal in your home.

0 Kudos

-- I live in City of Vancouver In the middle of a "forest...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Max66 -- I live in City of Vancouver

In the middle of a "forest" of high-rise towers?

What happen if you configure your mobile device to connect to the "Nationwide" network, instead of the "Shaw" network? More reception "bars" ?

0 Kudos

My phone barely works in my apartment building I have an...

Andakus
Grasshopper

My phone barely works in my apartment building I have an android 

- My phone barely works in my apartment building   Does i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Andakus - My phone barely works in my apartment building

Does it work much better when outside your building? On which of four sides?

Are you a subscriber to Shaw Home Phone, or Shaw Mobile ?

Does a "non-Android" phone work inside your residence?

0 Kudos

I rely on wifi calling at home. The Shaw network is ok if...

Someguy1
Grasshopper

I rely on wifi calling at home. The Shaw network is ok if you can manage to get an lte connection but 3G is useless. Nationwide network is rarely useable for us. (iPhone 12 pro). Been with Shaw for almost two years now, crossing my fingers hoping they improve their network in this area but I think it’s time to us bail and go back to one of the bigger providers. 

--  I think it’s time to us bail and go back to one of th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Someguy1 --  I think it’s time to us bail and go back to one of the bigger providers. 

Note that Shaw's "nationwide" network already is using the cell-towers of one of the biggest providers, to provide service in areas where Shaw does not have their own physical cell-phone towers, e.g., between Sooke and Port Renfrew. So, your suggestion to "bail" will be ineffective.

0 Kudos

I disagree. I have used TELUS & Rogers over the years and...

Someguy1
Grasshopper

I disagree. I have used TELUS & Rogers over the years and never had these issues. Dead spots will exist for all providers but not like this. Being in some suburbs on Shaw is like being in the mountains on Telus. Perhaps the problem is with the nationwide cap/throttling or the limited distribution of their own towers but this experience for me is unique to Shaw.

When I had Shaw Mobile, it worked fine at home and most p...

rstra
Grand Master

@Someguy1  When I had Shaw Mobile, it worked fine at home and most places in town, the problem was our second place was in a weak spot and the phone would not always switch to Nationwide. Travelling was also a problem, when we left the Shaw area, sometimes it would take several minutes to switch to Nationwide. At the time, the Nationwide only gave me a gig of data, so it wasn’t really an option to use that carrier very often. 

Shaw probably works best for people living in larger cities. Luckily for me, my previous provider called me just before I was going to call them and offered me a matching win back offer. Shaw Mobile customers will probably be rolled in to a Rogers plan if/when the takeover happens, so I am glad that I switched because Rogers has poor coverage in our town.

0 Kudos

-- are you sure that Shaw's "nationwide" network does any...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Someguy1 -- are you sure that Shaw's "nationwide" network does any "throttling" -- limiting of speed?

@rstra has mentioned a "cap" on mobile data while connected to Shaw's "nationwide" network.

Experiment: manually, force your phone to connect to "nationwide" while you're at home, to see if your voice-usage experience is any better.

0 Kudos