Jump to solution

Outgoing and Incoming MMS issues on a By The Gig plan

Kioti
Grasshopper

Was unable to send any outgoing MMS messages (Pictures or Memoji images). They all failed and retry failed every time as well. Incoming MMS messages from friends and family never showed up. The Shaw Mobile support agent had me turn "roaming" ON in my iPhone Xr settings and then all incoming showed up instantly. Outgoing started working immediately as well.

The Shaw agent indicated that outgoing and incoming MMS messages "would use" the purchased data ($10/Gig) on the By The Gig plan. That's an ISSUE as the Shaw Mobile online rate plan states clearly that Outgoing or Incoming MMS (picture/video) to any mobile phone number globally is unlimited and included in every rate plan anywhere in Canada on the Shaw or Nationwide network. I brought this to the agent's attention and he planned to send it to their online marketing people for correction. So who is right here?  

This needs an immediate clarification from a Shaw Mobile community Moderator or their management.

Thank you! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Apologies for any misunderstanding or miscommunication. M...

shaw-valerie

@Kioti Apologies for any misunderstanding or miscommunication. Mobile data does need to be enabled in your device settings in order to send and receive MMS, however, those messages do not count against your purchased data and you will still be able to use MMS if you don't have any data add-on package on your account. Hope that clears things up! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jump to solution

-- I am on the "zero-cost" Shaw Mobility option, with no...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kioti -- I am on the "zero-cost" Shaw Mobility option, with no "data" package added-on. When using my iPhone to send a message, I leave the SUBJECT line as "blank", and the messages are sent, without issue. Is that what you are doing?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hello mdk. I have the "subject" line (field) turned "off"...

Kioti
Grasshopper

Hello mdk. I have the "subject" line (field) turned "off" in my IOS settings so there isn't one to leave blank. Since the Shaw agent had me turn on "roaming" everything is working fine now. Seeing that you have NOT purchased any data for your plan and if you're able to send and receive MMS picture / video texts that tells me the Shaw agent appears wrong in saying that MMS uses up purchased data. Thank you for your reply mdk! 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Apologies for any misunderstanding or miscommunication. M...

shaw-valerie

@Kioti Apologies for any misunderstanding or miscommunication. Mobile data does need to be enabled in your device settings in order to send and receive MMS, however, those messages do not count against your purchased data and you will still be able to use MMS if you don't have any data add-on package on your account. Hope that clears things up! 

Jump to solution

Thank you shaw-valerie for clarifying and confirming this...

Kioti
Grasshopper

Thank you shaw-valerie for clarifying and confirming this info on MMS messaging. Good to know!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So I have to turn Cellular data on but ensure all my apps...

cchambers
Grasshopper

So I have to turn Cellular data on but ensure all my apps are turned off.  Is that the only way I can ensure I do not use data in apps and therefore do. Or get charged?  On iPhone 11.  

0 Kudos