Shaw Mobile after the Rogers merger

Hajasw
Grasshopper

Has anybody heard what is happening to Shaw Mobile after the Rogers merger?

Freedom Mobile is supposed to go to Quebecor.  I haven't heard news about Shaw Mobile. I really like being on the Shaw pay-as-you-go.

I will try to make sure I don't have excess funds sitting in my account.  Do I need to start shopping around for a cell-provider?  If I buy a new phone on one of Shaw's plans, does my debt get carried through after the merger?

0 Kudos
26 Replies

--  If I buy a new phone on one of Shaw's plans, does my...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Hajasw --  If I buy a new phone on one of Shaw's plans, does my debt get carried through after the merger?

I wish, but it's much more likely that it will be a "seamless" takeover, forcing you to keep paying.

Shaw Mobile is part of Shaw Communications, and Rogers has acquired all of Shaw Communications.

0 Kudos

I just read that Rogers has promised to honour Shaw Mobil...

HW209
Grasshopper

I just read that Rogers has promised to honour Shaw Mobile’s pricing for 5 years as part of the deal. So our accounts will be switched to Rogers but pricing stays where it is for a while.

0 Kudos

Yes, that is a great deal too, same price but better cove...

rstra
Grand Master

@HW209  Yes, that is a great deal too, same price but better coverage.

0 Kudos

My only hope is that they dont fool us i.e. as the Rogers...

vkamath
Grasshopper

My only hope is that they dont fool us i.e. as the Rogers we will still be expected to have only 2GB roaming instead of allowing us the entire 25GB roaming.

0 Kudos

Does that include monthly Add Ons for US roaming?

gtrep
Grasshopper

Does that include monthly Add Ons for US roaming?

0 Kudos

-- Does that include monthly Add Ons for US roaming? I do...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@gtrep -- Does that include monthly Add Ons for US roaming?

I doubt that 5 days after the Shaw/Rogers deal officially closed, that no Shaw employee who answers a phone-call or a chat-session has been briefed/retrained as to how to answer your question.  Patience, Grasshopper; you're not ready to snatch the marble.

0 Kudos

Uh, they've had months and months to get ready for this m...

gtrep
Grasshopper

Uh, they've had months and months to get ready for this merger, including providing basic info to their customer service staff. Rogers promised to honour Shaw Mobile’s pricing for 5 years as part of the deal reached with the government months ago. Surely they clarified if this applies to data add-ons and roaming packages way back then. This is pretty basic information that they should be providing now. Just trying to find out ASAP as I am currently in the US and have to renew my monthly roaming soon. I switched from Rogers to Shaw Mobile for their roaming deals as Roam Like Home has ridiculous daily/monthly rates for roaming in USA. ($12/day x 20 days=$240/mo). I'm paying just $25/month with Shaw. Just want to know if I need to find another carrier in the next couple of weeks. I could buy a US SIM card with a different number which is not ideal. But I definitely can't stomach Rogers roaming rates!

0 Kudos

Rogers will notify you in the coming months when it is ti...

rstra
Grand Master

@gtrep  Rogers will notify you in the coming months when it is time to migrate you to their service. In the meantime, you can contact Shaw for more info.

https://www.shaw.ca/contact-us

0 Kudos

-- Just want to know if I need to find another carrier in...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@gtrep -- Just want to know if I need to find another carrier in the next couple of weeks.

Very doubtful, considering that government approval of the deal was only 6 days ago. It probably will take 12 months for all the Shaw Mobile customers to be "migrated" to Rogers mobility.

Do you want to be the first to be migrated, i.e., be on the "bleeding-edge" of the transition?

I could buy a US SIM card with a different number which is not ideal. 

If you do get that SIM, can you "call-forward" its number to your current Shaw Mobile account? What additional charges would there be? Prohibitive?

0 Kudos