Jump to solution

SHAW MOBILE EMAIL TO TXT DOES NOT WORK

JKober66
Grasshopper

MX Lookup of "txt.shawmobile.ca", and you will see  that the DNS record cannot be found.  Either their MX Record or their DNS record have not be configured or published properly.

There are no clients with SHAW MOBILE that can receive a message sent to their phone via email or web notification with this address which every other provider in Canada does. 

<10 digit number>@txt.shawmobile.ca" sent from email should arrive as an SMS on the phone. Support has been contacted a couple of times.  There is probably hundreds plus that just aren't aware of this either. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Just got the $55 US plan, but I needed to set up an email...

Terry_flaps69
Grasshopper

Just got the $55 US plan, but I needed to set up an email to sms. I get alerts and updates sent from my work via their email service and arrive as a sms text on my cell. Use these 4 steps to have emails sent to your mobile on Shaw Mobile or Freedom accounts.

Went through a few agents before figuring this out on my own.

Shaw Mobile get your $#|+ together.

1. To have emails sent to your mobile on Shaw Mobile or Freedom accounts, create anew text message on your phone. Type: 4000 into the contact address

2. In the body of the text message enter the destination email address followed by a space.

3. Following the address and space type the message that you would like to email Examples:

Sample1@hotmail.com What time should we meet at the movie theater? 
Sample2@gmail.com Where should we go for dinner? 
Sample3@yahoo.com Did you catch the hockey game last night?

4. Send the text message to the code 4000. • The first time a customer sends a text to email, they will receive a text back indicating they have been activated to use this service.

If you need to enter it in a site your phone address would look like this for BOTH Shaw Mobile and Freedom numbers. But put your actual number. Not this one.

5874201234@txt.freedommobile.ca

** I didn't get the text back with the conformation. But I tried it a second time with a different msg, sent to 4000 with and it was working.

** Messages received are free. But depending on Shaw or Freedom, it's $0.20 per email sent after the first activation. Shaw is $0.20

Hope this may help anyone else.

Edit:

Every inbound email to text gets sent with a new contact #. You cannot save the inbounds to a contact. Incredibly Annoying.
The 2nd text i got was addressed 4000001, next text from 4000002, 4000003.

Called a tech and seems that they can't fix it, and it's a 3rd party that controls this system apparently. Bell, Rogers, Fido, Telus don't have this issue.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
Jump to solution

-- the DNS record cannot be found.  Either their MX Recor...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JKober66 -- the DNS record cannot be found.  Either their MX Record or their DNS record have not be configured or published properly.

From a Windows command-line prompt:

$ nslookup  -type=mx  shawmobile.ca

Non-authoritative answer:
shawmobile.ca   MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = prdcg4ipta01x-ext.shaw.ca
shawmobile.ca   MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = prdcg4ipta02x-ext.shaw.ca

That result looks perfectly OK.

> 10 digit number>@txt.shawmobile.ca" sent from email should ...

I have not seen any published document from Shaw that states that this feature is available.

Currently, there are no DNS records for the FQDN: txt.shawmobile.ca  -- no "A" nor "TXT" nor "MX" nor "SOA" nor "HINFO" records.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> SHAW MOBILE EMAIL TO TXT DOES NOT WORK If there was, wo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> SHAW MOBILE EMAIL TO TXT DOES NOT WORK

If there was, would spammers start abusing this service, to send "spam" messages to my phone?  Probably.

I would "opt-out" of such a service, if Shaw were to offer it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

IS there even a cellular company in North America this fe...

JKober66
Grasshopper

IS there even a cellular company in North America this feature is not available? 

Email to text has been around for almost 20 years you would think it would be something in place by default for all subscribers. 

Thanks for the information tho.... 

Jump to solution

I can’t get the Virgin mobile one to work, the email just...

rstra
Grand Master

I can’t get the Virgin mobile one to work, the email just bounces back. I couldn’t find anywhere on the Shaw Mobile site that says they have that service, Freedom Mobile does have it.

Jump to solution

It looks okay because it is searching for the shawmobile....

JKober66
Grasshopper

It looks okay because it is searching for the shawmobile.ca threat not the TXT thread. It doesn't exist. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Has anyone called Shaw Mobile to report and see if there...

sarahrouse
Grasshopper

Has anyone called Shaw Mobile to report and see if there are any plans to fix this? I have services that send email to text payment reminders and i would like to keep using this service.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Has anyone called Shaw Mobile to report and see if the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sarahrouse -- Has anyone called Shaw Mobile to report and see if there are any plans to fix this? 

What happened when you contacted Shaw about this? What answer did you get?

As reported above by @rstra, if you switch from Shaw Mobile to Shaw's Freedom Mobile, it currently provides the service.

As to announcing "future plans", no Shaw employee is going to give you any "company confidential" information, if they want to keep their job.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It isn't an "opt out" service it is standard with all cel...

JKober66
Grasshopper

It isn't an "opt out" service it is standard with all cellular companies in Canada and the USA so you have had it as long as you have had a cellular phone with whatever other provider you were with prior to Shaw Mobile...  Its not an option with other cellular companies it is a standard use/ability of a system. 

Jump to solution

The corporation that does our scheduling software spent h...

JKober66
Grasshopper

The corporation that does our scheduling software spent hours on the phone with Shaw Support only to have them say that the client (Me) needed to contact them to rectify the situation.  I spent a lot of time with several different Tech Support persons that didn't understand what I was talking about then the ones that I did were supposed to create a ticket to fix this and I haven't heard anything in the last two weeks.  I will be calling them again during office hours on Monday. I will post and let you know what I get for an answer this time.