Jump to solution

Just got the $55 US plan, but I needed to set up an email...

Terry_flaps69
Grasshopper

Just got the $55 US plan, but I needed to set up an email to sms. I get alerts and updates sent from my work via their email service and arrive as a sms text on my cell. Use these 4 steps to have emails sent to your mobile on Shaw Mobile or Freedom accounts.

Went through a few agents before figuring this out on my own.

Shaw Mobile get your $#|+ together.

1. To have emails sent to your mobile on Shaw Mobile or Freedom accounts, create anew text message on your phone. Type: 4000 into the contact address

2. In the body of the text message enter the destination email address followed by a space.

3. Following the address and space type the message that you would like to email Examples:

Sample1@hotmail.com What time should we meet at the movie theater? 
Sample2@gmail.com Where should we go for dinner? 
Sample3@yahoo.com Did you catch the hockey game last night?

4. Send the text message to the code 4000. • The first time a customer sends a text to email, they will receive a text back indicating they have been activated to use this service.

If you need to enter it in a site your phone address would look like this for BOTH Shaw Mobile and Freedom numbers. But put your actual number. Not this one.

5874201234@txt.freedommobile.ca

** I didn't get the text back with the conformation. But I tried it a second time with a different msg, sent to 4000 with and it was working.

** Messages received are free. But depending on Shaw or Freedom, it's $0.20 per email sent after the first activation. Shaw is $0.20

Hope this may help anyone else.

Edit:

Every inbound email to text gets sent with a new contact #. You cannot save the inbounds to a contact. Incredibly Annoying.
The 2nd text i got was addressed 4000001, next text from 4000002, 4000003.

Called a tech and seems that they can't fix it, and it's a 3rd party that controls this system apparently. Bell, Rogers, Fido, Telus don't have this issue.

Jump to solution

Sorry $0.20 per txt/sms sent to email from your phone.  R...

Terry_flaps69
Grasshopper

Sorry $0.20 per txt/sms sent to email from your phone.  Receiving them are free.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This was very important information - thank you for posti...

arjay
Grasshopper

This was very important information - thank you for posting it. I tried going through support chat and they had no idea what I was talking about. I had this set up with President's Choice (now PC Mobile) and they use phonenumber@mobiletxt.ca (for others who may have this issue with those providers). 

Using your method I was able to confirm my email address is phonenumber@txt.freedommobile.ca - this was a big step. But here's the issue, when I go to enter that information on my broker's site (for text notifications of trades) I get this message;

Failed to send token to phonenumber@txt.freedommobile.ca. Verify your SMS Address.

So it doesn't look like it's working. I was able to send an email to my number and have it show up as a text so the information is correct. But what the heck? Why hasn't Shaw set this up like every other cell provider in North America? And I mean, *every* single one of them has it. 

Jump to solution

-- *every* single one of them has it Note that  has poste...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@arjay -- *every* single one of them has it

Note that @rstra has posted that VERIZON does *not* have it.

I get some VERIZON customers sending E-mail from <telephone-number-goes-here>@vtext.com ("Verizon Text") to me, but I cannot send an E-mail reply to them (through Shaw, or through one other provider that I have access to).

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

it was actually Virgin and I couldn’t get it to work

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk it was actually Virgin and I couldn’t get it to work 

Jump to solution

@vmobile.ca is the ending for Virgin in Canada, vmobl.com...

Terry_flaps69
Grasshopper

@vmobile.ca is the ending for Virgin in Canada, vmobl.com is US.  Not sure what their set-up process is being under the Telus umbrella. 

Bell needed no set-up or any work.  It worked smoothly, and properly.  

Shaw's mobile support is garbage.  It's the equivalent to high school kids working at Canadian Tire.  No effs to be given.  

Jump to solution

-- it is E-mail showing from <telephone-number>@vtext.com...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Terry_flaps69 -- it is E-mail showing from <telephone-number>@vtext.com to which my replies cannot be delivered.

That is "Verizon Wireless", not "Virgin".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

@mdk Sorry got confused with that mix-up, got it now.  Ye...

Terry_flaps69
Grasshopper

@mdk Sorry got confused with that mix-up, got it now.  Yeah Verizon is number@vtext.com.  So I have no clue why the two can't communicate.  Just to be clear on my end, the < > symbols are not in the email, just numbers right?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I would like to do this too. I was able to send an email...

michaeldlatham
Grasshopper

I would like to do this too. I was able to send an email from my phone to my email. I received the email "1250*******@mms.shawmobile.ca" but when I replied to the email it said, "mms.shawmobile.ca server not found". Really sucks. I could receive emails through char and Rogers @pcs.rogers.com and also through Telus and Bell. Honestly don't know why this isn't available. This feature is a big deal to me so I get forward notifications on a volunteer work email. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- I am not clear on what you wrote. You said that you cou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@michaeldlatham - I am not clear on what you wrote.

You said that you could send E-mail (not a text-message) from your phone to an E-mail ID. Presumably, you could use any E-mail program on your phone to send that message, and also use an E-mail program on your phone to access that E-mail ID's "inbox".

You said that you could previously receive E-mail sent, presumably originated as a text-message from Rogers (or Bell) to your E-mail ID. Presumably, you could use any E-mail program on your phone to access that E-mail ID's "inbox".

You said that you can currently receive, using a mail-client on your phone, into your "inbox", messages sent to you about volunteering.

So, what issue do you have?

0 Kudos