-- the one-time setup fees for 5 phones from a couple wee...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@metatation -- the one-time setup fees for 5 phones from a couple weeks before - the total was around $400.

$400 ? Does that include monthly payments to Shaw for buying 5 phones?

I brought my own iPhone, and the setup fee was $20. I chose the "zero-dollar" plan (nominally, $15/month for unlimited text and voice in Canada, with a monthly discount of $15 because I gave them my credit-card information). Given the huge number of Shaw Go WiFi "hotspots" in my city, I chose to NOT pay anything to add "data" to my phone. So, my "net" monthly cost is ZERO.

Actually I mistyped that making it seem like that was all...

metatation
Grasshopper

Actually I mistyped that making it seem like that was all one-time setup fee...there was the activation of $20 for 5 phones, but 3 of them also have the $25 monthly fee and device charges for new iPhones as well.

Quality of Shaw... I have lost my number during porting t...

exPublicMobile
Grasshopper

Quality of Shaw... I have lost my number during porting to them 😞

I had two numbers in Public Mobile: mine and my wife's. I decided to move them to Shaw.

I ported my number yesterday. Not easy, Shaw re-submitted the request 2 times. But as a result, the number was ported successfully.

And I decided to port my wife's number.

Today Shaw ported wife's number and registered it INSTEAD OF MINE. Now I have my wife's number on my phone. And she has a temporary number. And my number is gone.

Shaw says my number on the Quarantine List. And they need 24-48 business hours to get it back.

0 Kudos

-- they need 24-48 business hours to get it back Blame th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@exPublicMobile -- they need 24-48 business hours to get it back

Blame the CRTC, not Shaw, for establishing such a "Q-box".

I switched from 30 yrs w Telus.  Went from $80+ per month...

JWMC
Grasshopper

I switched from 30 yrs w Telus.  Went from $80+ per month to <$5 per month ( own phone, zero dollar base + $10/GB data)

Service coverage is not nearly as good as Telus but the $$ difference makes up for it.

Biggest problem is at home the Shaw signal fades from 2 bars to none.  If I need to make a call I have to force my phone to join Nationwide (freedom) network.  Even if the shaw signal is barely there, my phone connects to that regardless of the way stronger Nationwide.  Because of that I miss texts, and outgoing texts fail on a regular basis.

If you want low cost Shaw is good.

Have you had any luck with wifi calling when you are at h...

rstra
Grand Master

@JWMC Have you had any luck with wifi calling when you are at home?

0 Kudos

Hmm.  How would I know if I'm wifi calling? (Android sams...

JWMC
Grasshopper

Hmm.  How would I know if I'm wifi calling? (Android samsung s9)

0 Kudos

Some info on how to set it up. https://support.shaw.ca/t5...

rstra
Grand Master
0 Kudos

Before signing up for Shaw Mobile service I specifically...

bobashaw
Grasshopper

Before signing up for Shaw Mobile service I specifically enquired about cell coverage in our area of Victoria.   Shaw informed me the coverage was excellent.   In the 8 months since we switched to Shaw we still don't have service and multiple attempts to get answers have been futile.  I was told today we just have to wait for a new cell tower to be installed so that we have a phone that work, unfortunately, Shaw has no idea when the tower will be installed.   In my experience Shaw Mobile provides lousy coverage and no customer service for $80 month.

--  In my experience, Shaw Mobile provides lousy coverage...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bobashaw --  In my experience, Shaw Mobile provides lousy coverage and no customer service for $80 month

In my experiences around Victoria, the coverage has been good, and my iPhone "roams" to the Nationwide network around the Ten Mile Point peninsula. I am paying $0/month (no "data"), but Shaw has many "ShawOpen" access-points all over the Greater Victoria area.

What is costing you $80/month? Are you paying for a new phone? Are you on the $25/month plan or the $45/month plan?