Why not just change Providers. Is the Shaw $15/month, a 2...

lancelot48
Grasshopper

Why not just change Providers. Is the Shaw $15/month, a 2-year contract?

0 Kudos

-- the cancellation fee is $15/month, if you only have In...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@lancelot48 -- the cancellation fee is $15/month, if you only have Internet or TV services. If you have both services, the fee is $20/month.  However, twice, Telus has offered me up to $200 in "Telus Credit", to offset the cancellation fee, if I switch to Telus services. I don't know if that offer still is available.

0 Kudos

is referring to Shaw Mobile, not internet or TV.  I belie...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk @lancelot48 is referring to Shaw Mobile, not internet or TV. 

I believe the only cancellation fee would be any unpaid balance on a My Tab account.

0 Kudos

If you are in a City Center it is great but if you live i...

Jswitz
Grasshopper

If you are in a City Center it is great but if you live in a rural community or travel for work and rely heavily on your phone for business, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get Shaw Mobile.  I live in a community 40 minutes North of Calgary and I have had more dropped calls, texts not sent, and no service in one week than I had with 15 years of Bell travelling all over Canada and the World.  I have had people tell me that when they called me they get a no service message instead of going to voicemail. So if you travel for work or pleasure don't be enticed by the prices (they are cheaper than competitors) to get Shaw Mobile. 

Secondly do your research and do not trust the sales person, they told me I would have no issues wherever I would need to go. That is on me I should have done more research and not been enamored by the price and trust the person selling me the plan.

I hope this helps people.  

-- because Shaw Mobile also offers free (no surcharges) f...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jswitz -- because Shaw Mobile also offers free (no surcharges) for roaming onto the "Nationwide" network, why not just manually set your phone to always connect to "Nationwide"?  That network connects to the Bell/Telus towers, which you seem to prefer.  So, low prices with Shaw Mobile, and "better" service on "Nationwide".  Win-win ???

0 Kudos

not sure how you would set your phone to just use Nationw...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk not sure how you would set your phone to just use Nationwide, plus, depending on your plan, you would only get up to 2 gigs of Nationwide data. 

0 Kudos

-- not sure how you would set your phone to just use Nati...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- not sure how you would set your phone to just use Nationwide

On my iPhone: Settings -> Carrier -> (disable) Automatic -> (wait for) Searching -> (select) Nationwide

QED

P.S. If your primary use of your device is for voice, and you need such coverage "out in the sticks" while lake-side, then the amount of "data" is much less important to you, during your vacation. You made a nice "strawman argument".  🙂

0 Kudos

We recently switched from Rogers to Shaw to save money....

DanMozel
Grasshopper

We recently switched from Rogers to Shaw to save money.  I guess you get what you pay for:  The Shaw service is WAY worse - we are in Coquitlam near Como Lake so would expect better service here.  Even at our house we constantly have signals dropped, unable to complete a call or text, and calls that just don't ring in.

Once Telus or Rogers drop their pricing (will they??) we will switch back.  

0 Kudos

-- on your iPhone, can you manually choose the "Nationwid...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DanMozel -- on your iPhone, can you manually choose the "Nationwide" cellular network, instead of the "Shaw" network?

Then, you'll be connecting to a Telus or a Rogers cell-tower, and you might get better performance.

0 Kudos

Customer service with Shaw is VERY poor! There are VERY l...

kellykellaway
Grasshopper

Customer service with Shaw is VERY poor! There are VERY long waits to speak to an agent.  The supervisor put me on hold for 25 mins before I hung up. They tell me now that as soon as I leave Abbotsford the service is spottie. That's not what they told me when I purchased 4 phone lines with them. Now I'm on a 2 year contract and have no service after I leave Abbotsford. Talk about lies this company if full of **bleep**.I'm going to go back to telus with my cable and phones. I will spend a day in court over this But hands down I will win.