Temporary mobile number appearing in text messages after porting to Shaw

MondoCanuck
Grasshopper

I have ported a mobile phone from Public Mobile to Shaw. Everything appears to work fine - calls are still coming through on my old ported number just fine - except that when people receive a text from me, they are seeing it appear in their texts as my temporary Shaw number and not my old ported number. This is causing some confusion from people who are receiving texts from me, but it appears to be from an unknown (to them) temporary Shaw number.

I thought it might just take a few days for the port to fully register, but it has been over a week and my Shaw temporary number is still being displayed to people I text instead of my old ported number.

I have tried restarting my phone a number of times, but this still persists. Has anyone else had this experience and, if so, how did you rectify it? Thanks.

16 Replies

The temporary number should have only been in effect for...

Spatch
Grasshopper

The temporary number should have only been in effect for a period of couple of hours tops.  I recently switched my wife’s number from Rogers and by later in evening the temp number was still in effect.  It turns out Rogers didn’t act on the port request, despite the fact I had properly replied “YES” to the Rogers text confirming the port when I was at the Walmart mobile kiosk.  To solve this I had to contact Rogers and have them send the confirmation request again, then put the old Rogers SIM card back in the phone in order to receive the text, and then again respond with a “YES” reply.   Not sure if the same circumstances are in play in your case but I’d suspect they are.  In any case your best bet is to first contact Shaw through their live chat to confirm what is going on (use live chat, much faster than phoning).  But it sounds in your case, like me, Public mobile hasn’t actioned the port request.  Good luck.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

MondoCanuck
Grasshopper

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Just to follow up on this (in case others come across thi...

MondoCanuck
Grasshopper

Just to follow up on this (in case others come across this post with a similar issue), this eventually resolved itself after 8 days from the time of the original port from Public Mobile. I don't know why it eventually resolved itself, but this morning texts began appearing to recipients as being from the original correct (non-temporary) ported number.

Likely Public Mobile finally got around to fulfilling the...

Spatch
Grasshopper

Likely Public Mobile finally got around to fulfilling the port request.  Glad it got resolved for you.  

I'm having the same issue sending text messages to my wif...

toxxicdaddy
Grasshopper

I'm having the same issue sending text messages to my wife. I did the 4111 fix as my number was showing incorrectly in the settings. It fixed that but my number is still showing in messages as temp #. I hope if I wait a few more days this fixes itself. 

Porting the number is a mess for Shaw :( I have lost my n...

exPublicMobile
Grasshopper

Porting the number is a mess for Shaw 😞 I have lost my number during porting...

I had two numbers in Public Mobile: mine and my wife's. I decided to move them to Shaw.

I ported my number yesterday. Not easy, Shaw re-submitted the request 2 times. But as a result, the number was ported successfully.

And I decided to port my wife's number.

Today Shaw ported wife's number and registered it INSTEAD OF MINE. Now I have my wife's number on my phone. And she has a temporary number. And my number is gone.

Shaw says my number on the Quarantine List. And they need 24-48 business hours to get it back.

0 Kudos

@exPublicMobile — An unfortunate situation for you.  I ho...

Spatch
Grasshopper

@exPublicMobile — An unfortunate situation for you.  I hope you can get it resolved expeditiously.  In defence of Shaw Mobile (for those reading considering switching), I’ve ported four numbers to Shaw Mobile since August without issue (well there was a hiccup with one port but it was the fault of the old carrier — Rogers — who failed to action the port request.  Contacting Rogers later in the day resolved the issue). 

I have a similar issue,  however,  the number ported,  bu...

Eli-loves
Grasshopper

I have a similar issue,  however,  the number ported,  but now (over a week later), the temporary member comes up,  but only when texting one person! For others,  the texts are properly registering with the ported number... I'm trying to be positive, thankful that the number that was ported actually works.  It's my daughter's phone.  One number or two,  she has a functioning phone...I called shaw about the issue--i hope it resolves soon

0 Kudos

Eli-loves did you get this resolved.  I appear to be the...

Casag
Grasshopper

Eli-loves did you get this resolved.  I appear to be the only person who receives texts showing my son's temporary number. I spent an hour on the phone with Shaw and another hour online looking for a solution to no avail.

0 Kudos