Unauthorized used of my mobile phone number

GerryBoyer
Grasshopper

I received a call this afternoon from someone who indicated that my mobile number is being used by someone (not me) soliciting furnace vent cleaning. How can I stop this? Who do I report it to?

4 Replies

Not sure there is a lot that can be done, someone has spo...

rstra
Grand Master

Not sure there is a lot that can be done, someone has spoofed your phone number on the call display.

0 Kudos

-- did that Other Person identify the name of that compan...

mdk
Grand Master

@GerryBoyer -- did that Other Person identify the name of that company, so that you can contact that company? That company might have a misconfigured telephone, that they can remediate,  Also, the company should be told that a scammer is spoofing their company's name.

There is no way to stop the abuse of your telephone-number. Can you change your voice-mail greeting, to indicate that the caller has been a victim of unethical conduct?

When you get calls, check the number. Any number that you don't recognize can be non-answered -- to go to your voice-mail greeting. Maybe, end the recorded greeting with an ask that the caller call again, if it is a legitimate call from a friend of yours.

0 Kudos

A different unauthorized use: on my bill it says  Special...

Clifford10
Grasshopper

A different unauthorized use:
on my bill it says 
Special Outgoing call. Happened several times to two numbers, both located in Toronto area (6477001777 and 6477001778) All calls lasted 1 minute or less. I did not make any of these calls.
I discovered when reviewing data use and on one of the days, someone somehow used 140MB of data. Other days of various amounts of unknown data use, but this particular day was by far the most (I use wifi, not mobile data almost all the time except for small bits here and there.
The phone numbers mentioned above have been identified as spammers but makes me wonder how they got access to my phone number and how quickly, within about one month of commencing Shaw Mobile service ?

0 Kudos

-- does your home WiFi ever stop working, or is there an...

mdk
Grand Master

@Clifford10 -- does your home WiFi ever stop working, or is there an area within your home that is not reachable by your home WiFi? If so, and your mobile phone has "data" enabled, then simple things, like an automatic "refresh" within your open Email app, or a web-page (TSN scoreboard?) auto-refreshes, will use your "data" connection.

I doubt that spammers/scammers have access to your telephone-number, to run-up charges that are billed to your number.

If you get calls from spammers/scammers, be aware that they use auto-dialers, and voice-response systems, to "randomly" call telephone numbers. Occasionally, they hit your number, no matter how long that you've been using Shaw Mobile.

It also seems that scammers keep lists -- last week, I got 3 calls, on the same day, from 3 different telephone-numbers (probably faked with VOIP) promoting the same "lower your credit-card rate to zero" pitch.  Maybe, my telephone-number is on their "gullible" list ???

0 Kudos