Voice while roaming

Grasshopper

My elderly father is traveling and added a roaming package with voice, text, data however he cannot make calls nor can I call him.  His phone is not in airplane mode but says no service.  How do we fix this???He is in the USA so not overseas and does not know how to access.  Phone is not in airplane mode.  Any suggestions???

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Is his cell-phone unlocked? Some older phones are not.My...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Is his cell-phone unlocked? Some older phones are not.My suggestion is to find a Walmart, and get a competent Walmart employee to insert a "test" SIM-card into his phone, as "proof of concept" that the phone will accept a different SIM-card.

Then, see: https://www.walmart.com/browse/cell-phones/phone-data-plans/1105910_4960552

for various cell-phone "plans".

Of course, he will have to tell you his new telephone-number.

0 Kudos

Which phone does he have? The US did shut down 3G, but th...

rstra
Grand Master

@6968Which phone does he have? The US did shut down 3G, but this is unlikely the problem.

0 Kudos

He has an iphone 6.  Imessage and data work, just not the...

Grasshopper

He has an iphone 6. Imessage and data work, just not the phone/calling

0 Kudos

It doesn't need to be unlocked, he had a shaw plan added...

Grasshopper

It doesn't need to be unlocked, he had a shaw plan added and confirmed multiple times by shaw but calling does not connect

0 Kudos

see above, do you think because of a 6?  He was down in U...

Grasshopper

@rstrasee above, do you think because of a 6? He was down in US in Feb and had no problem

0 Kudos

They are just finishing shutting down 3G. Maybe he needs...

rstra
Grand Master

@6968They are just finishing shutting down 3G. Maybe he needs to enable LTE?

0 Kudos

- I will get him to try that...really just need to get hi...

Grasshopper

@rstra- I will get him to try that...really just need to get him a new phone...Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos

Worth a try. I think that the iPhone 6 is not compatible...

rstra
Grand Master

@6968Worth a try. I think that the iPhone 6 is not compatible with Freedom/Shaw’s LTE, so he is likely using their 3G. Anything iPhone 8 or higher will support band 66. It would be a worthwhile upgrade.

0 Kudos

From Apple's web-site, the iPhone SE (first generation),...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

From Apple's web-site, the iPhone SE (first generation), iPhone 6, and iPhone 7 support 4G LTE cellularwith the footnote:  5G, Gigabit LTE, LTE, VoLTE, and Wi-Fi calling are available in select markets and through select carriers. 

0 Kudos