Jump to solution

Wifi calling option disappeared

davvos
Grasshopper

My Samsung S9 received a minor software update on Friday but my wifi calling option had disappeared when it rebooted. Neither  Shaw nor Samsung support could fix. The odd thing is that the wifi calling option reappears if I install my old Virgin Sim so it seems to be specific to Shaw. Anyone have a solution as my Shaw network signal is very spotty at home and I've been dependent on having WiFi calling enabled. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Shaw were able to fix my S10 after my ticket was escalate...

davvos
Grasshopper

Shaw were able to fix my S10 after my ticket was escalated in early July I think and it's been fine since; it got an Android software upgrade a few weeks back and WiFi Calling was still fine after the update.  My wife's S9, however didn't get any update and it said I had the latest version when I tried to force an update so she's been struggling without Wi-Fi Calling. The S9 finally received a software update this morning and the Wifi Calling option reappeared in the menu - activated and now works fine, so hopefully everyone who had the problem is ok now.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Jump to solution

-- my Shaw network signal is very spotty at home  Shaw Mo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@davvos -- my Shaw network signal is very spotty at home 

Shaw Mobile has arrangements for "roaming" to Bell/Telus/Rogers cell-towers, where there are no Shaw towers, at no extra cost to customers.

So, can you configure your phone to connect to the "nationwide" cellular network, and see if you get a stronger connection?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks - when the Shaw signal is too weak (which varies i...

davvos
Grasshopper

Thanks - when the Shaw signal is too weak (which varies in different parts of the house), my phone automatically switches to Telus but even the Telus signal is usually only 1 bar at best. Voice calls and texts often dropped so the wifi calling feature was great. Google seems to suggest that this problem is related to the network provisioner not Samsung and the fact that wifi calling comes back when I put in a Virgin sim seems to confirm that.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Odd, did you try setting it up again on tje My Shaw Mobil...

rstra
Grand Master

Odd, did you try setting it up again on tje My Shaw Mobile site?

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/mobile-articles/shaw-mobile-wifi-calling/ta-p/20380#content-section-3

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The WiFi Calling option is no longer in the Phone menu wi...

davvos
Grasshopper

The WiFi Calling option is no longer in the Phone menu with the Shaw SIM so I can't try to set it up again. When I use my old Virgin SIM, the WiFI Calling option re-appears but I can't use it without an active Virgin account. I'll try to borrow an active SIM from a friend and see if it resets WiFi Calling somehow but I'm not optimistic!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I see there are already 3 people other people on this thr...

BR8HW8
Grasshopper

I see there are already 3 people other people on this thread with the same problem. I have 2 Galaxy S9s and a Note9 and all of them also have the same problem now with a Shaw SIM, but work with other provider sim cards. I've tried to sort this out with Shaw mobile support, who told me it must be a Samsung issue, but Samsung has confirmed that if it works with other provider's sims it is obviously a Shaw problem. My home and office are both in poor cell reception areas with Shaw internet, and wifi calling is a necessity which is failing me, please figure out how to reconfigure your sim wifi set-up to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I see there are already 3 other people on this thread wit...

realestatebc
Grasshopper

I see there are already 3 other people on this thread with the same problem. I have a total of 5 of Galaxy 9 series phones on my account and the 3 that have run the upgrade lost wifi calling. 2 Galaxy S9s and a Note9, and all of them also are having this problem only with a Shaw SIM, but work with other provider's sim cards. I've tried to sort this out with Shaw mobile support, who told me it must be a Samsung issue, but Samsung has confirmed that if it works with other provider's sims it is obviously a Shaw problem. My home and office are both in poor cell reception areas with Shaw internet, and wifi calling is an absolute necessity, which is failing me, Shaw Mobile, please figure out how to reconfigure your sim wifi set-up to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Same problem. Glad to hear it's not just me. I rely heavi...

jjc3
Grasshopper

Same problem. Glad to hear it's not just me. I rely heavily on wifi calling due to poor signal at home (from any provider). Will need to switch if they don't resolve this soon 😕

Jump to solution

S9 Wifi Calling gone after Samsung update

JonathanWiebe
Grasshopper

Any ideas on how to fix this?

The cell reception at my home if poor so wifi calling was and is vital so my calls don't drop.

Shaw, or original postr, any ideas?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi , I am having the same problem on my S9+ and my Samsun...

Krammer
Grasshopper

Hi , I am having the same problem on my S9+ and my Samsung A-530.  Early in June the option disappeared from the phone options.

The option returns when I insert a Bell, Telus or Virgin sim card. Samsung has confirmed that this is a problem with the Shaw sim if it works on the other carriers. We also have an old S8 and and iPhone with Shaw sim cards and both work fine.

Would greatly appreciate any help to resolve this as we have very poor cell coverage at home.

0 Kudos