Please lobby to make call centers illegal

Not applicable

Impossible to  block unwanted  callers,  they  just  spoof  the numbers  and  call again and again and  again.  When   you  don't  recognize  the  call and    not  answer,  they  leave  a robo-message.  There  is no way to  avoid these  calls.  I am  almost at  the  point  of  hanging  up my land  line for good.

Tags (1)
9 Replies

Re: Please lobby to make call centers illegal

shaw-tony

Hey rassilon,

Thank you for reaching out! I will recommend submitting your phone number to the National Do Not Call List here to help reduce the number of unwanted calls from telemarketers. You can also set up Anonymous Call Blocking by activating it on your phone by pressing *77. You can find more details on our phone features here.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Re: Please lobby to make call centers illegal

jime2015
Grasshopper

You assume the poster is not already on the National Do Not Call list, and overseas callers do not care, anyway.  Anonymous Call Blocking wouldn't work, either, since the poster pointed out a number (albeit a spoofed one) shows up on caller ID.

0 Kudos

Telus has a feature called "call control". You can whitel...

OPT
Grasshopper

Telus has a feature called "call control". You can whitelist ~30 numbers that always get through, anyone else is prompted to push a random digit before being allowed through. Waiting for Shaw to offer something similar!

> You can whitelist ~30 numbers that always get through ....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> You can whitelist ~30 numbers that always get through ...

This morning, the local CBC Radio news reported that scammers are "spoofing" the Caller-ID information of Police, RCMP, and CRA.

So, even after you white-list your Police, a scammer can still can get through to you.

Is 30 numbers enough:

* stock-broker

* bank

* work (some work-places have multiple phone-numbers: boss, boss's secretary, HR, co-worker)

* 10 to 20 friends from members of your church

* 10 friends from your community choir/orchestra

* police

* call-backs from Shaw

* family (daughter's mobile, son-in-law's mobile, son's mobile)

???

The 30 free numbers  are plenty for us, but you can purch...

IVG
Grasshopper

The 30 free numbers  are plenty for us, but you can purchase an upgrade that gives you more (60) if you want. The way it works is that  the callers who are not on the 'allowed' list are prompted to enter a number on their keypad, takes 10  seconds, if that. Since we've used it, foreign scam calls have stopped completely (as compared to every other day). It works because it eliminates predictive diallers (robocalls). Any human who wants to get through does so, easily. As for police calls, to "whitelist" them you'd need to know the exact number they'd use o call you. The spoofing you refer to means the caller ID show RCMP, CRA, etc; they're not using the actual agency numbers, I've had callbacks from the police get through without any trouble at all. The bottom line is that Call Control works. If Shaw could offer something similar to its customers that would be terrific.

Shaw needs to step up here - the telus feature is fantast...

Bobbbyb
Grasshopper

Shaw needs to step up here - the telus feature is fantastic, and Shaw needs an equivalent - it is so important to me that I am considering bailing on Shaw mobile. 

Are you taking about Shaw Home Phone or Shaw Mobile?

rstra
Grand Master

@Bobbbyb  Are you taking about Shaw Home Phone or Shaw Mobile?

0 Kudos

Shaw needs to step up here - I am taking about Shaw mobile

Bobbbyb
Grasshopper

Shaw needs to step up here - I am taking about Shaw mobile @rstra 

0 Kudos

You are in the home phone forum. Anyway, Shaw has Stir Sh...

rstra
Grand Master

@Bobbbyb  You are in the home phone forum. Anyway, Shaw has Stir Shaken, but not all phones are supported yet, most noteably, the iPhone (not Shaw’s fault).

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/stir-shaken-overview-faq/ta-p/44274

Hopefully, Apple gets on board soon.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help