Advice on Gateway system

Not applicable

After having 2 Motorola DCX3400  PVRs for years and recently having issues with the one used most when it came to playing back recorded shows on certain channels, I decided to upgrade to the Gateway system. I am one who likes to own their equipment outright and not rent. That being said, when getting Gateway installed, the tech had mentioned it would be better to rent instead of purchasing. Unfortunately, I wasn't there and it was my wife he had told this to. I'm now wondering if I'm going to have buyers remorse. Now that being said, I am 2 months into a 2 year deal and essentially between the cost of renting them and purchasing them outright would be about the same when my current deal is over. I was looking at Bluesky but I've got an Apple TV hooked up to both my TVs so did I really make the right decision? Or would it have been wiser of me to go with Bluesky? Ultimately what I want is to get the same amount of usage out of my new Gateway system like I did my old Motorola PVRs (roughly 10 years).

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Advice on Gateway system

shaw-tamara

Hey stevebuttle 

Personally, I think renting is a better option. If you're on a 2 Year Value Plan, then the rental fee should be part of the deal so you wouldn't be paying for it in the first two years. Once the 2-year term is up you can always sign another plan with the same equipment, or upgrade if you choose to. 

Purchased equipment has a 3-year warranty, so if it were to break or malfunction beyond the three-year mark you would have to pay for the cost to replace it. With rental equipment, we would just swap it out if it stopped working. Plus, technology changes all the time and if you commit to owning equipment it's a bigger barrier if you ever want to upgrade. It's a personal choice but for me, I'd rather have the option to upgrade if something better comes along and also not have to deal with bringing it in for recycling when it's no longer useful.

0 Kudos

Re: Advice on Gateway system

abdba
Grasshopper

There are plenty of used Gateway systems available on Kijiji.  Including the Gateway and numerous portals.  Some a cheap as $20.  I would suggest trying that if you don't want to rent and you're questioning the value of purchasing.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help