Aspect Ratio (Star Trek Voyager)

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Hi All:

Recently, Shaw BlueCurve's Netflix has begun delivering Star Trek Voyager in 16:9, when the original aspect ratio is 4:3.

Roku and a Philips TV's native Netflix deliver the series in 4:3. 

Labels (2)
18 Replies

Strange. Netflix iOS is showing Voyager in 16:9, Netflix...

rstra
Grand Master

Strange. Netflix iOS is showing Voyager in 16:9, Netflix on BlueCurve is showing in 4:3 for me. I am also showing it as 4:3 on both Crave and CTV.

0 Kudos

Could it be the "setup" on your TV that is reformatting S...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Could it be the "setup" on your TV that is reformatting ST: Voyager from 4:3 to stretch it to 16:9 ?

Or, the "setup" on the BlueCurve?

0 Kudos

I did some testing, but wasn't able to re-create this iss...

shaw-valerie

@kenohrn I did some testing, but wasn't able to re-create this issue on my end, launching the Netflix app on BlueCurve TV, as well as using the integrated Netflix and Crave content OnDemand in BlueCurve TV all displayed the show in 4:3.

In the BlueCurve TV settings, check to ensure that the Zoom setting is set to 'None' to ensure that is not the issue. A similar setting likely exists in your TV settings, consult the manual or the manufacturer's support website for more details on specifics of that feature. 

Hi:   Bluecurve zoom is off.  TV "picture settings" haven...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Hi:   Bluecurve zoom is off.  TV "picture settings" haven't changed and are set to where they have always been (16.9).

FYI Star Trek TNG is also shot in 4:3 but has started showing in 16:9.

Thanks for your help. This is a puzzler.

0 Kudos

16:9 is good isn’t it?  raises a good point. The Blue Cur...

rickatk
Master

16:9 is good isn’t it?

@shaw-valerie raises a good point. The Blue Curve device settings offer a zoom setting for non HD non 16:9 shows.

As an aside Star Trek(Enterprise) was reputed to be one of the first network shows to be broadcast in HD.

The fact Netflix  is displaying the Voyager series in 16:9 seems like a good thing. They are probably using a remastered version similar to Bluray releases.

0 Kudos

Ummmm . . . Really?? it's still 4:3, but stretched. Every...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Ummmm . . . Really??

it's still 4:3, but stretched. Everyone looks short and wide. 

0 Kudos

I looked at my setup: 1. Netflix (Apple) TV: 4:3 2. Netfl...

rickatk
Master

@kenohrn wrote:

Ummmm . . . Really??

it's still 4:3, but stretched. Everyone looks short and wide. 

I looked at my setup:

1. Netflix (Apple) TV: 4:3

2. Netflix (Xi6 wireless tv player) 4:3

3. CTV SciFi Channel (Xi6 wireless tv player) 4:3

Xi6 box zoom is on.

I suspect your tv settings are adding some zoom and stretching to the picture.

This issue started for me a couple of weeks ago. I checke...

erik_s
Grasshopper

This issue started for me a couple of weeks ago. I checked all the settings in my XI6 box as well as my receiver and projector and came up with nothing. Then, having 3 XI6 boxes in the house I checked Netfix on another TV and it worked as it should, so I switched the XI6 boxes and the problem followed the box, so the issue whatever it is, is coming from the XI6 box. So I left the malfunctioning box in a room where we never watch Netfix and all was good until yesterday when a second XI6 box started the same behavior. I've not done any troubleshooting this time, but I assume I will find the problem is in the XI6 box.

0 Kudos

Have you tried turning off the zoom setting on the boxes?...

rickatk
Master

@erik_s wrote:

This issue started for me a couple of weeks ago. I checked all the settings in my XI6 box as well as my receiver and projector and came up with nothing. Then, having 3 XI6 boxes in the house I checked Netfix on another TV and it worked as it should, so I switched the XI6 boxes and the problem followed the box, so the issue whatever it is, is coming from the XI6 box. So I left the malfunctioning box in a room where we never watch Netfix and all was good until yesterday when a second XI6 box started the same behavior. I've not done any troubleshooting this time, but I assume I will find the problem is in the XI6 box.

Have you tried turning off the zoom setting on the boxes?

Reseting the boxes?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help