BlueCurve Anywhere Anytime

paulascottca
Grasshopper

I will be escaping the cold for a couple of weeks this winter and would still like to be able to watch local Calgary news and my Calgary Flames games. On the BlueCurve TV page at https://www.shaw.ca/tv/bluecurve-tv-app, it says "As a Shaw TV customer, you just need to download the app, sign in with your Shaw ID and watch the content you want anywhere, anytime and on any device."

I was informed that I could only use the BlueCurve app to watch Shaw TV inside Canada. I am wondering how the marketing department at Shaw thinks the that they can use the word "anywhere" when they really mean "anywhere in Canada". If you expand the Legal Terms & Conditions, you can find "Not available in all regions". I'm guessing that some lawyer told you that you could say one thing in the visible text and something totally opposite in the hidden text. It may make it legal, but in my mind it does not make it right.

I would like to know what the big deal is about letting me watch my local Calgary TV while I happen to be in vacation outside of Canada?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

This is a common restriction with many platforms and is n...

rickatk
Master

This is a common restriction with many platforms and is not limited to just Shaw. Certainly the any where feature works while vacationing in Canada but heading to other countries different laws and restrictions apply. 

Shaw doesn't write the rules on this issue.

I understand that it is a common restriction, which is wh...

paulascottca
Grasshopper

I understand that it is a common restriction, which is why I asked your support team via the chat window if "anywhere" really meant "anywhere". And yes, I understand that Shaw do not write the rules. But I also understand that Shaw DOES write the content on their web site, and the claim of "anywhere" is misleading. If it was not misleading, I would not have opened your chat window and asked.

I am not asking Shaw to change the rules they do not write. I am asking Shaw to clarify the claims that they do write.

0 Kudos

The restrictions are mentioned in the fine print.

rstra
Grand Master

The restrictions are mentioned in the fine print.

0 Kudos

That is correct. The fine print that is not visible unles...

paulascottca
Grasshopper

That is correct. The fine print that is not visible unless you go looking for it.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. Your approach is no doubt legal. Personally I believe "anywhere in Canada" is accurate, while "anywhere" is misleading. Judging from your defence if it, I have to assume that the choice between "anywhere in Canada" and "anywhere" was a conscious choice between accurate and misleading. Thanks for clarifying your position.

0 Kudos

I don’t work for or represent Shaw in any way.

rstra
Grand Master

@paulascottca  I don’t work for or represent Shaw in any way.

0 Kudos

I don't disagree with you, sometimes the advertising can...

rickatk
Master

@paulascottca I don't disagree with you, sometimes the advertising can be a little misleading. Shaw and Telus often take liberties with their wording.You only have to look at their Pure Fibre and Fibre Plus campaigns. Your complaints are better directed to the CRTC or Competition Bureau.

I am not a Shaw employee either. 

0 Kudos

I remember running into this geographical limitation trav...

rickatk
Master

I remember running into this geographical limitation traveling down south in California. I couldn’t find the Canadian Channels in the usual place (after Washington) being offered by Shaw Direct Satellite. I could not tell support tech I was out of the country when calling. The key was to use the higher channel grid in the TV menu. Who knew!  

Unfortunately the digital services are much smarter than the old dish.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help