cable disruptions

eatrus23
Grasshopper

The last couple weeks my cable will just freeze and then reboot . Has done it twice this morning. I live on Gorge Road. Have there been service disruptions in this area or is there a problem with my set up? Any suggestions as how to deal with this.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

> The last couple weeks my cable will just freeze and the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The last couple weeks my cable will just freeze and then reboot .

Do the lamps on the cable-modem change, as the modem reboots, or do the lamps stay unchanged, while your computer reboots?

Do you have a smart-phone that is connected via WiFi to your cable-modem?  If so, does it still have Internet access during the "freeze"?

> I live on Gorge Road.

Victoria, I presume.

> Have there been service disruptions in this area or is there a problem with my set up?

Many of the outages are listed on Shaw's web-site: Service Updates & Outages 

Do you have a different computer that you could connect, to see if it also "freezes" ?

> Any suggestions as how to deal with this.

0 Kudos

my computer keeps functioning fine during these disruptio...

eatrus23
Grasshopper

my computer keeps functioning fine during these disruptions. My cell is with another provider and is also unaffected.

0 Kudos

> My cell is with another provider and is also unaffected...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> My cell is with another provider and is also unaffected.

Temporarily, can you connect your cell to the built-in WiFi within the Shaw modem, to see if it "freezes" at the same time, i.e., cannot load "Weather" or "News" or any web-page?

0 Kudos

I assume you are talking about your cable TV, which box do you have?

rstra
Grand Master

I assume you are talking your cable TV, which box do you have?

0 Kudos

> The last couple weeks my cable will just freeze and the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The last couple weeks my cable will just freeze and then reboot.

This can be a symptom of the disk-drive inside your Shaw PVR "dying" -- some sectors on the disk-drive cannot be read, and so the Shaw PVR chooses to reboot.  This can happen when watching "live" TV -- the PVR is recording to allow the "skip back 15 seconds" functionality to work, or when there is a scheduled recording.

How old is your Shaw PVR? Most "consumer" disk-drives have a one-year or two-year warranty, but Shaw uses better-quality disk-drives, because the disk-drive is active all the time that the PVR is powered-on, typically 24/7 for many years.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help