Coax Cable Splitter: Cable vs. Satellite

Linds8418
Grasshopper

Trying to get some clarity. I just recently upgrade to a HDPVR and did not know that it requires TWO Coax Cables while our Satellite only has one coming into the house. I spoke with my brother and he has a splitter into his PVR but he is on cable. Is this something that can only be with Cable TV or will this work for satellite as well?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

-- See: How to Connect, Activate, and Set-up your Satelli...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Linds8418 -- See: How to Connect, Activate, and Set-up your Satellite Receiver (shawdirect.ca)

It does state that TWO coaxial-cables from the satellite-dish to your HDPVR receiver will be required.

Your brother probably has a 1-to-2 coaxial-cable splitter, feeding both his HDPVR and his cable-modem (or his Shaw Phone box).

I really doubt that a 2-to-1 splitter leaving the dish, and then a 1-to-2 splitter feeding the two ports on your HDPVR will work.

Thanks for the response. There would not be a splitter on...

Linds8418
Grasshopper

Thanks for the response. There would not be a splitter on the dish as the cord already runs all the way into the house. It would just be a splitter feeding into the 2 ports. I do understand that there is different splitters for cable vs. satellite but thought perhaps someone else ran into this issue before. 

0 Kudos

Does the LNB on the dish have two connections? You may ne...

rstra
Grand Master

Does the LNB on the dish have two connections? You may need an upgrade and to run another line.

0 Kudos

It has four - 2 currently being used as the 2nd one goes...

Linds8418
Grasshopper

It has four - 2 currently being used as the 2nd one goes to a regular receiver in the main bedroom. Was trying to avoid having to run another line as the exterior of the house was recently redone a couple years back but I am starting to think that will be the only option.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help