DCX3510-M HD PVR Reboots Multiple Times Each Day

lmacri
Grasshopper

I have a Motorola HD PVR (model DCX3510-M) that I received from Shaw in 2013. About one week ago it began rebooting multiple times a day. On a few occasions it has displayed the message "Rebooting STB. Please wait..." but in most instances it will simply become unresponsive and reboot without warning. The problem seems worse if I press the "Live" button on my remote to scroll through my list of recorded programs or try to play back a recorded program, but if I'm watching live TV the video will sometimes become choppy and out of sync with the audio and then freeze, and I know another reboot is about to happen.

Rebooting by the normal method (i.e., unplugging the DVR, waiting a few minutes, and plugging back into power) will solve the problem temporarily but only for a few hours.

Labels (1)
7 Replies

We've been having the same problem for a few weeks. Got m...

Utopia
Grasshopper

We've been having the same problem for a few weeks. Got much worse today. It's an ARRIS PVR DCX3510-M. Was chatting with Shaw technical via online chat and they tried claiming that it was a cable issue and wanted to send a technician to come into our place. We refused as we're not letting anyone into our place during Covid. Then they suggested sending a technician on Friday 8th Oct which of course wasn't acceptable. Finally asked for a supervisor to call. He was much more helpful and arranged for us to pick up a new box tomorrow in downtown Vancouver. I suggest you do the same - request a new box. Likely a hard drive issue, especially after so many years. 

I also have the same problem, reboots 2 or 3 times a day

Jay22
Grasshopper

I also have the same problem, reboots 2 or 3 times a day

lmacri
Grasshopper

@Utopia wrote:

We've been having the same problem for a few weeks. Got much worse today. It's an ARRIS PVR DCX3510-M. ...I suggest you do the same - request a new box. Likely a hard drive issue, especially after so many years. 

Hi Utopia:

Thanks for your reply. Given the age of my DCX3510-M HD PVR I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a hard drive or tuner problem, but I'd still like to know if  Shaw pushed out a firmware update about two weeks that might have caused an issue for customers owning an older model DCX3510-M. I have quite a few unwatched shows recorded and would hate to turn in my current HD PVR if it isn't a hardware problem.

0 Kudos

We've been experiencing the same issues:  spontaneous reb...

whopper1
Grasshopper

We've been experiencing the same issues:  spontaneous rebooting while using remote, and when NOT using the remote - pixilation - freezing and incomplete videos (unable to skip the bad spot).  This has been going on for over a month now - and after several trouble calls, Shaw replaced the DCX3500-M TWICE now.  So the current unit is the third with the same problems.  The tech while replacing the last one suspected the hard drive.  Now the current one is doing the same issues.  I was able to use a flashlight to check the current hard drive and it is a Seagate with a date stamp of 13164,  which translates to the 4th day, in the 16th week of 2013.  Last night cable 11 for Global news 11pm went to a black screen about 11 minutes into the recording - switched to LIVE and found the channel itself was blank - neighbour said his was just fine, but mine was blank.    Yesterday after it spontaneously rebooted twice, I spent over two hours trying to use the phone to talk to a tech, but ended up in "Hold hell" for 15-20 mins each time on a call-back they did.  Tried the chat feature - spent over an hour going over the problems with the tech saying there were outages in the area.  But I could not see any such record on Shaw's web site.   Very frustrating - luckily TELUS is stringing their Fibre in our area.  

-- a Seagate with a date stamp of 13164 which translates...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whopper1 -- a Seagate with a date stamp of 13164 which translates to the 4th day, in the 16th week of 2013

A Seagate drive that I have shows 13482, which translates to the 2nd day, in the 48th week of 2013.

It was extracted from a dead Shaw HDVPR.  It spins at 5900 (!) RPM -- not 5400 nor 7200. It is labelled as "Video 3.5 HDD 500 GB" -- designed to record 2 shows while watching prerecorded content.

My 3510 PVR stopped rebooting a few days ago so I think S...

Jay22
Grasshopper

My 3510 PVR stopped rebooting a few days ago so I think Shaw fixed it with a firmware update. New box may not be needed

lmacri
Grasshopper

@Jay22 wrote:

My 3510 PVR stopped rebooting a few days ago so I think Shaw fixed it with a firmware update. New box may not be needed

Hi Jay22:

Thank you for your update.

I hope I'm not tempting fate, but I was just going to post that my constant re-boots seem to have stopped as well. I manually re-booted my DCX3510-M HD PVR (i.e., unplugged from power, waited a few minutes, plugged back in) last Sunday on 03-Oct-2021 and my PVR has only re-booted unexpectedly once (on 06-Oct-2021?) since then.

The one time it did re-boot I encountered a glitch that is typical for my DCX3510-M. On or around 06-Oct-2021 I finished watching a recorded program and was shown the usual prompt "You have finished watching <<program name>>. What would you like to do next?" I selected the option to Delete Recording (i.e., instead of Keep Recording) but when I viewed my list of recorded programs the name of the "deleted" program had not been removed from the list of available recordings. As soon as I scrolled down to the "deleted" recording my PVR spontaneously re-booted, and I haven't had any problems since then. During the two-week period that my PVR was constantly re-booting I was also seeing jerky video when I was watching live TV or playing back recorded programs, but that problem has disappeared as well.

I'm thinking that a buggy firmware update a few weeks ago must have triggered the problem (when I press Menu on my remote and choose Latest Update it shows a major Release 21.9 update was pushed out in September 2021) and like you, I suspect another minor firmware update was pushed out in the past week or so to fix the constant re-boots.  Hopefully someone from Shaw will post in this thread and let us know if there was a known bug in a recent firmware update for the DCX3510-M.

TALK TO US
We're here to help