Jump to solution

Disconnecting digital box causes internet to go down

mary50
Grasshopper

We have a strange situation going on here.  We are using Shaw for our TV connection and Telus PureFibre for our internet.  The PureFibre was installed in December. Everything with both products has been working fine until just recently when we decided to upgrade our TV to a smart TV.  We needed to upgrade our Shaw digital box from the older DCT700 to a newer model. 

Shaw sent us the package and we proceeded to disconnect the old digital box from the cable.  Right away, as soon as we disconnected the cable, our internet went down.  We reconnected the old box and our internet came back on.  So now, we are stuck with an older tv and box until we can figure out what is going on.  I'm sure we will be tossed back and forth between Shaw and Telus until we can get a solution, but in the meantime, I'm hoping someone here might have an idea.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- My next step will be to contact technical support and...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mary50 -- My next step will be to contact technical support and hopefully they can sort it out.  

Contact Shaw (www.shaw.ca/chat) or 1-888-472-2222.  Select "activations".

Before you do, look closely at the new Shaw box, and get the serial-number information from its label.

Shaw will need to "add" that serial-number to your account, and to "activate" that box, before that box's status will change from "NoIP" to show either the channel or the clock.

Ask them how to return the older Shaw box.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Jump to solution

You disconnected the cable from the Shaw cable box and th...

rstra
Grand Master

You disconnected the cable from the Shaw cable box and the Telus internet goes down? Does the Telus modem just have a fibre cable going in to it?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have Shae and Telus also, don not see anyway the two ca...

Jay22
Grasshopper

I have Shae and Telus also, don not see anyway the two can be linked. How do you know your internet goes down ie Computer of wifi devices

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- with everything still connected and working, try an ex...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mary50 -- with everything still connected and working, try an experiment: disconnect the power-cord from the back of the DCT700, and then tell us whether your TELUS Internet still is working.

Do you have an Ethernet cable from the Telus adapter to a desktop computer, or are you using WiFi-devices (iPhone, notebook computer, printer) connecting wirelessly to the Telus adapter, or do you have a mix of wired/wireless devices?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response.  Sorry to take so long in re...

mary50
Grasshopper

Thank you for your response.  Sorry to take so long in replying.  We have a mix of wired/wireless devices - wired desktops, wireless laptops, tablets, etc.  

I must apologize for wrong/misleading information.  I have found out that the problem doesn't happen when we disconnect the DCT700 after all, but most likely when we try connecting the new digital box that we were sent by Shaw.  We did disconnect the power cord from the DCT700 and the Telus internet still works.  Then we decided to disconnect the cable from the DCT700 and see if that caused the problem again, but the internet still works.  Our next step will have to be trying to connect the new digital box again and see what happens.  I will let you know once I find out (and hopefully if it does, I can get a connection again).  

I'm sure you can tell by this that we are technically challenged, so please bear with me, if you can.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Sorry to be so long in responding (time online is limited...

mary50
Grasshopper

Sorry to be so long in responding (time online is limited with care giving duties).  

We did manage to connect the new Shaw digital box and the internet wasn't affected this time.  I have no idea what happened that first attempt but glad that it seems to be ok now, with the internet at least.  The problem now is the new box won't connect:  it says BOOT, then CHIP, then no IP.  We have tried the troubleshooting tips on the Shaw website but still nothing.  My next step will be to contact technical support and hopefully they can sort it out.  

Thanks very much to everyone who responded (and sorry if I didn't reply to you).  I appreciate anyone taking time away from their busy life to offer assistance.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- My next step will be to contact technical support and...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mary50 -- My next step will be to contact technical support and hopefully they can sort it out.  

Contact Shaw (www.shaw.ca/chat) or 1-888-472-2222.  Select "activations".

Before you do, look closely at the new Shaw box, and get the serial-number information from its label.

Shaw will need to "add" that serial-number to your account, and to "activate" that box, before that box's status will change from "NoIP" to show either the channel or the clock.

Ask them how to return the older Shaw box.

Jump to solution

Thank you so much.  The instruction sheet that came with...

mary50
Grasshopper
Thank you so much.  The instruction sheet that came with the new box doesn't mention any of these steps.  I appreciate having this extra information.  I will make sure I have all the details I need before contacting shaw/chat.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help